The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a doe who I believe is cystic.. She didn't settle last year after repeated attempts though she settled and kidded fine twice before.. She hasn't settled so far this year either...

Last year she kidded twins.. And a few weeks fresh, ended up with a mild case of mastitis... Could that be linked to this?? I am just trying to figure this out... I may call the vet tomorrow and try and get some Cystorelin and lute to use together as I have read multiple places and was talking to another breeder about it...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Here is some good info on cystic overies http://kinne.net/infert1.htm
the link discuss several reason a doe wont get bred...its a good read : )
I have read giving a Shot of Cystorelin when she comes into standing heat, then give another shot 24 hours later. But I have never dealt with C.O inmy herd, so its just read material, not experiance : )

here is a quote fromthe article provided

Cystic ovaries occur when the follicles do not rupture and continue to produce estrogen. Heat cycles become become frequent (6-14 days) or nonexistent. Does may exhibit bucky behaviorby riding other does or being overly aggressive. If a doe with cystic ovaries is undiagnosed and untreated, she can become permanently sterile. These does eventually begin to look 'bucky.' If the condition is caught early, a shot of chorionic gonadotrophin may restore reproductive function.

If you suspect more than one doe of having cystic ovaries, your feeding program may be at fault. High estrogen levels in sweet clover and some alfalfa, or diets high in calcium and low in phosphorus may cause temporary problems.

There is evidence to support a hereditary predisposition to cystic ovaries from both the dam's side and the sire's side.

Another common theme is a 5-day cycle , a different condition than cystic ovaries. When this happens, the doe has a normal heat and the follicle matures but does not release the egg. The doe has another normal heat 5 to 7 days later, at which time the egg is released. There is diversity of opionion among experienced breeders about eggs not being released on the first of the 5-day cycles - some say that eggs can be released on both cycles and breed on both cycles to maximize the number of conceptuses. This condition may be related to the presence of multiple follicles - some rupture and some don't until the second heat.

If a doe has a hormone imbalance, she may exhibit no signs of heat at all, and the term for this is anestrus. The doe's ovaries are simply not producing follicles. A shot of prostaglandin may start her cycling. Anestrus may also be related to cystic ovaries. Silent heats between regular estrus cycles is not uncommon. This is where all the necessary physiologic and histologic events take place but the doe shows no outward signs of estrus. Fortunately, the buck always knows and a successful breeding may be accomplished if they are together. If the time between estrus periods is unusually long, silent heats may be the cause. [Ed. note: Anestrus for several-month periods may signal embryonic mortality if the doe had been bred.] The most probable cause is a lack of proper balance of hormones affecting the onset of estrus.

False pregnancy is another hormonal problem that can occur in pygmy goats. Pseudopregnancy is like normal pregnancy in every way. There are two ways to differentiate a normal pregnancy from a false one: (1) ultrasound or X-ray at around 60-90 days, or (2) wait until the end of pregnancy and see what is delivered. There is no known reason for pseudopregnancy but it may be a hormonal imbalance or early embryonic death with resorption of the fetus and membranes. If a false pregnancy is detected, a shot of prostaglandin will end it. Most does will not repeat this process and can be bred successfully on the next cycle.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Cathy!

She has normal heats.. Always has... She is the herd queen so she can be a jerk.. But not out of the ordinary I would say.... And she will act a little Bucky when in heat... But other then that she never acts Bucky... She just won't settle...

It's funny though.. Her dam's full, older sister has silent heats... She never showed any signs... The breeder just kept her and the buck together and she would end up bred..
So I wonder if it came from her.... I just hope my doe's daughters don't go cystic! :/

Thanks again for the link Cathy :)

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
its a mystery for sure...and so many reason for a doe not to get bred..but since she has had babies before, at least you know she is not sterile : )

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep! But it's driving me crazy! Lol! She was 'flushed' before breeding, is UTD on Copper and Bo-Se, she is a good weight... *sigh* I can't think of anything else...

That is true :)
It just stinks cause we were planning on selling her in milk in the spring... *sigh* oh well.. We'll figure something out...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Laura :) :hug:
I hope so too.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
What do you mean by "Flushed"?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We upped her protein intake to increase the chance of multiples. I just added an all stock 30% protein supplement (Blue Seal Sunshine Plus)

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Awe..I see..lol..when I hear "flush" I think of when they flush a does eggs and put in several host Does to carry lol...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh lol! Yah.. No way I would be doing that to get kids from her lol! She is nothing special ;) :laugh: besides being a good milker... That's the only reason she stuck around another year :/

·
375 Posts
So frustrating! :-/
For my doe that I believe is cystic I have started on this treatment: Apis Mel 6c 2x a day for 10 days, then Pulsatilla 30c 1x a day for 7 days. By the end of this she should be cycling normally apparently :) This is a homeopathic remedy that I thought I would try before going the conventional way with her.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
best wises!! keep us posted

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Skyla... I still haven't gotten my doe Penny to settle... we discussed this a few weeks ago right?
Penny is displaying similar behavior to your doe... strong standing heats and buck like behavior during those heats which occur every 8-12 days, Penny has had 2 courses of Cystorelin.
I did something new though yesterday, she was in that obnoxious behavior again on Saturday so I waited til she was done with it and gave her a dose of Lute, it's been 24 hours since I gave it and the plan is that hopefully she comes into heat and I'll put her with Murphy and dose with the Cystorelin 2 x. She's never had any problems with mastitis nor any interferance with deliveries though she was treated with 3 doses of LA200 the end of August per the vets instructions just in case of an unseen infection.

Oh and Penny though in aggressive standing heat will beat the tar out of my bucks except the little guy, she loves on him like you wouldn't believe! At this point, I don't care which buck she settles with and if I could just throw her in the buck pen I would but it would entail someone getting injured so I simply can't subject them to her abuse :)

·
2,203 Posts
I would start an ov sync or a CIDR protocol.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Skyla... I still haven't gotten my doe Penny to settle... we discussed this a few weeks ago right? Penny is displaying similar behavior to your doe... strong standing heats and buck like behavior during those heats which occur every 8-12 days, Penny has had 2 courses of Cystorelin. I did something new though yesterday, she was in that obnoxious behavior again on Saturday so I waited til she was done with it and gave her a dose of Lute, it's been 24 hours since I gave it and the plan is that hopefully she comes into heat and I'll put her with Murphy and dose with the Cystorelin 2 x. She's never had any problems with mastitis nor any interferance with deliveries though she was treated with 3 doses of LA200 the end of August per the vets instructions just in case of an unseen infection. Oh and Penny though in aggressive standing heat will beat the tar out of my bucks except the little guy, she loves on him like you wouldn't believe! At this point, I don't care which buck she settles with and if I could just throw her in the buck pen I would but it would entail someone getting injured so I simply can't subject them to her abuse :)
Yes we did.. That's a bummer she still hasn't settled for you.. :(

Our girls have so much in common lol!
I haven't tried anything drug wise with her yet... She is due to comeback into heat on Sunday (day 21).. She is mostly right on track give or take a day or two for her heats...

At this point.. If she comes back into heat.. We will be selling her as a registered 'pet' or 4-H doe.. And hopefully someone can get her settled.. My dad doesn't want to hold onto her anymore :( so I won't get to try the drugs... :(

She is also picky about the buck used.. She hated the buck last year:.. And didn't settle... This year.. She isn't thrilled.. And will bite if given the chance with one of them.. And is nicer to the other... Hadn't yet settled with either of them.. The first two years we bred her, we used the same buck and she loved him! But the breeder for some reason has a problem with us.. :shrug: and I don't have the $ for a non refundable breeding fee to try that...

I don't know.. The mastitis was just a thought that passed through my mind... It was treated and she was then dried off a few months later and had no signs of it...

I hope your doe will settle soon for you Liz! This is driving me crazy so I know how you feel!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have never seen my Alpine doe in heat, and I am dying to get her bred! She is almost two years old and I just love her. She is my showmanship doe, and I will be very disappointed if she doesn't get bred soon and can't be shown next year.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have never seen my Alpine doe in heat, and I am dying to get her bred! She is almost two years old and I just love her. She is my showmanship doe, and I will be very disappointed if she doesn't get bred soon and can't be shown next year.
My doe's aunt was like that.. The breeder just kept her in with a buck and she would end up bred...

·
375 Posts
I'll let you know how this treatment works out for my doe, it only cost me around $18. I always hate settling for selling as a pet instead of full price ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts