D.E. Questions ...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Julie, May 9, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I finally found a feed mill in my area that will order D.E. for me (after calling about 10 different places). I can get a 40# bag for $15 :D

Anyway, I never bought/used D.E. before ... and I just picked up my bag they ordered for me the other day. I want to "spring clean" my barn this comming week ~ once I get everything cleaned up and mucked out, I planned on spreading the D.E. all around in the pens to rid of any bugs/lice/parasites.
    Now for my question ~ The D.E. I bought says on the front ~ used as an anticaking agent in feeds. For such livestock - and it lists a huge list of livestock (basically all livestock and pets are listed there). So then in my assumption ~ I got the edible kind ? So I can put some of this in their feed to rid them of any internal parasites .... RIGHT ??
    There's no actual instructions on the bag for feeding, but it does mention using a ration of ?(can't remember how much off the top of my head) certain percentage of body weight. And after reading that - I also would assume it's definetly saying it's edible ... but just to be safe, since I've never used it - I want to hear it from someone else who uses D.E. ... plus I don't know how much to use of it for my goats as a topping on their feed ?? :?

So how much on feed per goat ? How often (daily?weekly?monthly?)

And shoudl I just "dust" the cleaned up pens with it ? As I would've when I used SevinDust ?
    Also - can/should I dust my goats with it as well as feeding it to them ?

I don't want to WASTE it ... and I want to use it in the right dosage,amount, etc. ... so please any advice would be appreciated :D

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can spread it in the pens for fly/mite/lice control, you can put it on your goats for external parasites. for feeding it, I don't remember how much we fed but we used to mix it with salt and put it out free choice. It didn't really do anything for internal parasites, but it seemed to keep the ticks and lice off when we fed it.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was waiting for someone to reply that has used it! I am having a VERY BAD tick problem here!! They are climbing onto me from my goats when I milk...ick! Don't want to use anything that will "contaminate" the milk should there be residue that falls from the goat....THANK YOU JULIE FOR ASKING ABOUT THIS!

4. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    From what I've read you can put DE in the feed to keep bugs out of the feed. Some claim it works for internal parasites but everyhting I've read states that once DE is wet it is no longer effective. We use it here in the chicken coop and I dust all of our animals with it.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Tog Lovers is right - once wet it isnt' effective - so as a wormer it doesn't work. But dust them with it and you can put it intheir feed to keep bugs out.

6. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Ok ... thanks :D

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

let me know if it works or not. Everyone i have talked to around here said it did nothing for them.
    beth

8. lilbird

lilbird New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I have used DE off and on for a couple years....it works great in the chicken house...the hens like to "dust Bath" with it....I also sprinkle it on my bedding in the goat building and rarly have bugs....I have also used it mixed in the feed...do not know if does any good but the animals including the elk all look better when I use it....
    Thanks
    Jill

9. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I think the formula is 1 cup of DE to 100 pounds of feed. I mix it in as my husband dumps the feed into the trash can. I also sprinkle it in stalls, onto animals. Does help with fleas. I heard it DOES work when wet. It's fossilized dirt and fossils don't break down when wet. In fact, I read somewhere this week if you put some in your water troughs it will keep algae from growing.
    You just have to make sure you buy FOOD GRADE - any other DE is never to be used with animals or humans. It can be used for human consumption, but I never thought I'd want to try it. But it is not to be breathed in and I found I have to wear gloves as it will make my skin peel off my fingers.
    I still use wormers but not as often as I used to. Found that I still have tapeworms with using DE but it does seem to help. Did a fecal on a sheep once, and it was negative. And does keep maggots down to a minimum in the rabbit hutches.

10. lilbird

lilbird New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    What was the mix for the water troughs??? I would love to try it to see about stopping the algea!!!
    thanks

11. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I didn't see the amount for the water trough - you really can't overdo DE - so I guess it depends on the size of your water trough. Thought I might try about 1/4 tsp. in a bucket this summer.

12. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    ohhhh, I wish I knew DE didn't work as a wormer before I bought a big food grade bag! grumble

I did try putting in the goats water and it doesn't do anything. If you don't want algae in your water, add vinegar.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some people still sware by it as a dewormer but I am not so convinced. But I know ti wont' hurt them thats for sure

14. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I use the DE all the time for the bedding and in their feed. I give them one tsp in their feed once a day sometimes twice a day. It works better. It seem that it help get rid of ticks and reduce the flies in my barn. Well i better get some more becuz summer is coming..

15. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    they did a study on De at the university of Illinois. Here is a copy of the summary.Diatomaceous Earth ~ Field Tests
    The University of Illinois School of Veterinary medicine has stated that nothing enters the meat or milk. LD/50 test shows there is no damage to organs even when fed in much larger percentages then needed. The Federal Registry of the U.S. Congress lists DE as having "no tolerance" in the storage of grain. Many vitamin companies include DE for its trace minerals. The Bio-integral Resource Center, Berkley, CA (formed in 1979 to provide practical, non-toxic and effective alternatives to a wide variety of pest problems in the U.S. & Canada) concluded that DE is not a hazard as the body can dissolve it. The following field reports establish the virtues of DE as a parasitical, a digestive aid and a container of trace mineral. Holistically speaking, it is believed that DE is a compatible natural compound of organic origin that works harmoniously with the body in ways that cannot (as in homeopathy) always be explained. Clinical Observations Of Feeding Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth To Dogs O.C. Collins, DVM Midland Animal Clinic and Hospital Midland, Texas In clinical observations of feeding dogs over 35 lbs. 1 tablespoon/day, and under 35 lbs. 1 teaspoon/day of diatomaceous earth, within seven days all ova disappeared from stools. Diatomaceous Earth controlled Ascarids (Toxacara canis), Hookworms (Anclyostoma caninum), and Whipworms (Trichuris vulipis). Field Report On Experimental Feeding Of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth To Zoo Animals Richard Smith, Hallwood Inc. Animal Food Specialties Grand Rapids, Michigan A mixture of feed incorporating 2% Diatomaceous Earth was sent to three zoos for reviewuation ~ John Ball Park of Grand Rapids, Michigan; Brookfield Zoo of Chicago, Illinois; and Buffalo Zoo of Buffalo, New York. John Ball and Buffalo Zoos reported that their black bears on the special feed showed a better coat and clearer eyes. The primates fed at the Brookfield Zoo displayed a pronounced improvement in both appearance and behavior. Stool samples taken at all three zoos showed an absence of any internal parasites - adult or egg. Parasites in these animals were present prior to using the Diatomaceous Earth food mixture. Test Results From Feeding A 5% Ration Of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth To Rodents Eldridge M. Burke, Ph. D. Arizona State University Division of Life Sciences Tempe, Arizona Comparison of test and control groups of rats where test and control groups were fed identical rations, i.e. 5% food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE). Significant differences were manifested in weight gains. The DE tested group of males had an average weekly gain of 6.4% over the control group of male animals. There was no evidence observed relative to residual silica content of the test versus control animals. NOTE: The DE apparently had some growth stimulating effect during the early growth period. From a chemical analysis viewpoint it becomes apparent that many of the trace elements present are the same elements necessary for cell growth and metabolism. A second factor that may have influenced the growth rate is the property for the absorbability of the food grade DE. Although hypothetical at this time, it may be that food was absorbed into the surface of the diatom particles. This would assist in the enzyme action with the result of greater products of digestion being available to the animals. Results Of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Fed To Horses Four Winds Stables Robert D. Horkman Orlando, Florida Results of feeding 5 oz./day of diatomaceous earth to show horses for a period of one year: Healthier-looking animals with a definite sheen to their coats, absence of internal parasites, better feed conversion, reduction in manure odor, fly control, cured scours in cases where other medications had failed and improved appetites in 'picky eaters.' Report On Feeding Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth To Walking Horses L. Thomas, Trainer L. Frank Roper Stables Winter Garden, Florida With horses fed approximately 5 oz. (one cup) of diatomaceous earth mixed in the feed twice daily, the following results were observed: 1. Stopped scours even on horses that had not responded to any other medications. 2. Noticeable fly reduction. 3. Horses showed an increase in appetites. 4. Weight gain due to better feed conversion. 5. Reduction in manure odor. 6. Elimination of any internal parasites. 7. Healthier appearance. Study Of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth With Feed Pigs M. F. Petty, DVM Alabama Results were as follows: 1. No internal parasites were discovered in the test group at any time after seven days of the DE. 2. All hogs on DE stopped rooting and destroying the wooden feeder after 10 days. 3. By the end of the third week the odor of the test group was noticeably less offensive than the control group. 4. At the end of six weeks the fly population decreased markedly. Results Of The Use Of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth With Poultry C.S. Mangen, DVM San Diego, California Using two groups of birds with each group consisting of 8,000 white leghorn caged layers in their pullet year which had been producing for five months. After feeding the test group 60 lbs. of diatomaceous earth per 1-1/2 tons of standard mixed feed (17% protein) for 2-1/2 months the following results were observed: 1. There appeared to be less flies around the test group. 2. Droppings are of a drier consistency, making for easier cleaning of the house. 3. Seventy-five percent less deaths in the test group. 4. A 2-4 case per day increase in egg production by the test group compared to the control group. Organ Analysis Of Dairy Cows Michigan Department of Agriculture Laboratory Division Lansing, Michigan Upon pathological examination of the organs of dairy cows having been given free-choice feeding of food-grade diatomaceous earth for a period of approximately five years, no visible organ abnormalities were observed. Field Report - Free Choice Feeding DE To Dairy Cattle Dairy Herd Association Improvement Program Hussey Farms Litchfield Park, Arizona Tests run on purebred Jersey dairy cows given free choice access to food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE). Average intake was three ounces per cow per day. After six months the following results were observed: Milk production in the test group increased over 20% with butter-fat content remaining the same. Warbles problems came to an abrupt halt. Feed assimilation improved and fly problems were brought under control. Field Report - Feeding Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth To Dairy Cows J. S. Bunker Bunker Farms, Mesa, Arizona After feeding 100 dairy cows on DE for approximately one year, the following results were noted: warbles became non-existent fly nuisance almost completely disappeared odors were almost completely gone cows have better hair and coat condition and have no desire to lick soil as in the past vet bills have been significantly reduced butterfat content has risen from 503 lbs. per cow to 513 lbs. per cow. Field Report - Feeding of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth To Dairy Cows Daniel M. Brandt McFarland, Wisconsin Results from feeding 5 to 6 ounces of food grade Diatomaceous Earth to a dairy herd for a period of five weeks: Butterfat tests have shown an increase of 3.7 to 3.9 mastitis, which had been quite a severe problems, came under control (no new cases) cows are brighter and healthier in appearance milk production has increased without an appreciable increase in feed.