The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am at my wits end. I have moved Daffodil out of the infected pen since the boys passed. She was given five days of alban by the vet by weight. I was to give 1.3 mls a day for five days. The vets office measured it out and sold it to me. They even marked the side of the syringe with marker at the point I was supposed to fill it to. I know I dosed her properly is my point explaining all this. When I dosed her on the fifth day there was medicine left in the bottle so I dosed her a sixth day a full dose then yesterday day seven there was only a half ml left I gave her that too. This morning she has diarrhea again. This is after five days sulmet then 6 and a half days alban. I just hit her with wormer, probiotic paste, pepto, and red cell. I don't know what else to do. I may take her to another vet. She is still lively and chasing us around which she wasn't doing before the alban. She was very lethargic before the alban. I am just scared. Why does she keep getting diarrhea. They did a fecal at the vet and said coccidia. Poor kid hasn't had grain in so long she acts starving. I have been giving her hay and letting her browse.
Any advice? the diarrhea looks different from he cocci diarrhea to me, it is a light olive green.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
green diarrhea usually means change of browse, or goat eating too much fresh browse that they can handle.

does she have a temp?

I've read Pepto can firm up poop. not sure dosage. hoping someone will chime in on that...

I had issues with my goat a month ago with scours, and I treated with natural medicine mainly because i was drinking her milk and didn't want to dump, and there aren't really options for me here.

here's the recipe i used that i found in the holistic section:
Cocci Remedy
1 tsp powdered ginger * 1 tsp cloves * 1 tsp slippery elm powder * 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup boiling water - Steep for 20 minutes
For a 2 month old kid give 6-10cc twice a day for 5-7 days

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
How much Basil did she eat? if I remember correct, you had a bunch growing??..a few leaves would actually help her but if she ate too much could be she as dietary
pepto can help dry her bum and sooth her tummy....hay only until she firms up...keep her hydrated

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was oregano. I only gave her a handful of it, but there is grass in her pen she can graze/browse on. So could be she is just now feeling good enough to chow down on some grass. Also it rained a half inch here yesterday, she has access to the barn stalls so I dont think she got wet. I gave her pepto, red cell, and probiotic this morning. I also gave her a dose of ivermectin paste wormer.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
IMO I wouldn't worm again unless there's actually signs of worms. too much worming can cause a whole host of other issues, and it really hurts their tummies (throws off rumen function, etc)

she's probably just adjusting to eating fresh browse again. as long as it's green and not dark like cocci scours, I think you should be ok.

my doe has issues with scours a few months ago, and i was scared to over medicate her, plus i was tired of dumping her milk. so i just did the holistic meds over and over and it really worked without harming the goat. but i know some people are not into holistic methods, and i'm ok with that. do what works best for you. :)

hope the poop gets firm soon! nothing like finding a good solid poop!

·
Administrator
84,590 Posts
It does sound like a feed issue.

Get oat hay or something equivalent and feed a little of that, before you let her out to graze.

Decrease her time out, try a couple of hours each day to start, then slowly increase, so her body has time to adjust.

Give probiotics for 3 days and fortified vit B complex shot for a couple of days, US.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want some healthy goat time. I feel like after this experience that it is a miracle there are any living goats.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
I understand your fustration ...it does get better....I promise..my first goat year had me in knots....8 years later, Im so happy I stuck it out, learned so much through both sorrows and triumph....I didnt know about goat-spot then...this place offers so much support and knowledgable advice...its a great place to be to get help and to offer help : ) deep breath...healthy goat time is coming...:hug:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I just want some healthy goat time. I feel like after this experience that it is a miracle there are any living goats.
I felt like that with last years show wethers it gets better I know it will!!!

Don't over load with medications.
And if iu haven't don't the pepto don't iv read it will just make it worse sometimes.
I really incurrage using the yogurt.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
it'll get better! I thought I was going to lose my milker, and have an orphan, but I stuck it out and she's healthy as can be right now! don't lose hope!!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, I know it has to get better, I am just ready for it to get better!!! LOL She seems better tonight poo has firmed up but it should have since I gave pepto this morning.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Daffodil seems to be doing better tonight she has been running laps around her pen. Been a long time since we've seen her run!

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
good news : )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts