Dairy buck

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by keren, Feb 3, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, this stinky hairy old guy just might be coming to live at my place.

There's a lady wanting to rehome him (free), he's an unreg. toggenberg. I know he's not great, but I am considering getting him to put over my four dairy does (3 saanens and 1 BA). I figure its still better than using the angora or boer buck over them. This way I will have dairy bred kids, rather than half meat or fibre kids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick Q about his horns - I thought dairy horns grew straight up into the air, not curled like this?

EDIT to say I made the pics smaller

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    AAAH! He's huge! Sorry, give me a few minutes and I will resize the pics

EDIT Also, I'd really appreciate your comments about his strengths and weaknesses, good points and bad.

Here's what I'm seeing in him: GOOD POINTS good length and depth of body, strong pasterns, reasonable neck, he looks to have a gentle eye, the lady who has his said he's really quiet she can lead him anywhere by the beard BAD POINTS looks like his rump slopes off a bit but not as bad as some I've seen, front feet toe out, horn is gonna need trimming to stop it cutting into his eye, and he's a fence jumper

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Wow his horns are strange. Buckly my Nigi buck has curled horns but they are even and not so tight like that one's. Makes me think something went wrong there somewhere. :?

Otherwise I have to admit I don't know much about toggs. From a general view point he looks mostly well pull together. He sounds like he has some issues but...he's free, right? It's a hard decision. :shrug:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    betcha the horns are scurs.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I agree--I have never seen such gnarly looking horns that weren't scurs. Someone probably tried to disbud him as a kid and didn't do it properly.

The things I would have mentioned about his conformation, you pretty much already said, Keren. He's not perfect, but certainly not terrible...and considering your alternatives...I'd probably go for it.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yep, probably a bad disbudding job and those are some pretty big scurs. . . .

I think you evaluated him pretty well Keren. :)

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    okay, so there's a slight problem with this buck, I dont have herd health info for him, in terms of CAE and johnes. The current owner is going to get a faecal done on him for Johnes, and I will test for CAE once he is here (provided he's clear for Johnes)

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yeppers - definately a bad disbudding job. Didn't leave the iron on long enough.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yep, those are scurs. Usually its really hard on dairy bucks to disbud them properly, so usually they get some pretty funky looking scurs growing.

He's a handsome fella :)

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, cross your fingers for me that the Johnes test comes up negative. I just cant afford to risk it.

Anyone have any idea what colour the kids will come out, by joining a Togg over Saanens and British Alpines? Because if they come out clearly marked like Toggs, British Alpines or Saanens I can register them as Appendix D even though he (and the does) arent registered. But if they come out a jumble of colours, I cant.

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Togg x Saanen could come out as mostly Saanen coloured with slight Togg markings - ie slight dark patches on cheeks, shoulders, etc - often as the goat gets older. Ie my little girl harmony was born pure white like a Saanen (she has Togg in her) and she has now got dark markings on her face, and on her shoulders:

[​IMG]

Togg x BA - could well come out as a dark Togg - who knows until you try it? I dont, anyway =]

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    lol thanks weevil

that poses a question. Appendix D animals here are assessed before 12 mths for 'trueness to type' and so long as they are true to type with no cull faults, they get registered. In saanens, swiss markings is a disqualifying fault. But if they only show up when the goat is older, is it ethical to still get her registered as a kid (when the markings arent there?)

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I dont know. How would you know if the markings were there if they didnt turn up as kids? The bug's markings didnt come until she was about 18 months old...

how can you know ? Surely you'd have to register it if you thought it was true - and then see what happened.

LW

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If you are registering them as Appendix D there is the knowledge that her ancestry could be mixed so a little marking here or there shouldnt be a huge issue when they get older. :shrug:

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    ok so slight problem. Okay, kinda more than slight.

A previous owner THINKS he might have been vaccinated against Johnes. But ... circumstances lead me to believe she was confused and it was just the normal vaccination.

A blood test for Johnes will show up positive if he was vaccinated as well as infected. A faecal test is able to differentiate between vaccinates and infected animals, but, it would take several months.

Its a difficult decision, the blood test will cost about $100, I am leaning towards having the blood test done, if it comes back negative I will take him, if it comes back positive either way I wont take him. Best case scenario it is negative and I get a buck for $100 test, $100 petrol money. Worst case scenario I've wasted $100 and got no buck.

What would you do? :help:

16. goatbless

goatbless New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    $200 for an unregistered buck? Considering the does would be throwing crossbred unregistered dairy goats with him, I'm not sure that I'd do it. I hear that boer x dairy crosses can milk very well if you decide to keep the does, and bonus that the unwanted buck kids will still be good for meat production. If it were me I don't think the buck would increase the value of the kids enough to make it worth his cost of purchase and care. Just my two cents- he's not bad looking for an unregistered buck, but I am looking at this from an economical point of view....

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I probably wouldn't, just for the risk of spending the money for no reason. . . .

I wasn't aware there is a vaccination available for Johnes?? Could she be confusing this with the vaccination for CL?? I am probably just wrong, but I didn't know there was any other preventative for Johnes other than keeping barns and feeders very clean. :shrug:

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    goatbless, he wouldnt be going over my boer does, he'd be going over my purebred saanen and british alpine does. The kids would be registerable.

capriola, google 'gudair vaccine' to get all you ever wanted to know about the Johnes vaccine

19. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Is Johnes prevelant in goats in Austrailia? How old is he? Wouldn't it be showing up by now if he had it? I think I'd be more worried about CAE. And CL.

20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :tears: I just typed out a really great long post and my computer swallowed it, never to be seen again.

I'll type it again in the morning seeing as I'm falling asleep now.