Dairy Buckling thoughts

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by 8-Nigerian-8, Jun 28, 2020.

1. 8-Nigerian-8

8-Nigerian-8 Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Hello everyone, I’ve purchased a future herdsire nigerian. Just wondering your thoughts/things to improve on when crossing him with does?
    Thanks!
    He is 11 weeks IMG_8051.jpg IMG_8049.jpg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Cute little guy!

8-Nigerian-8 likes this.

3. 8-Nigerian-8

8-Nigerian-8 Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Thanks!

4. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    To be completely honest he is not my favorite. He is short bodied with a steep rump. I would like to see him a little more upstanding on his pasterns. I do like how he is deep in the barrel and depth of chest floor.
    What are your goals?

8-Nigerian-8 likes this.
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Agree with above. What type of udder does dam have and does his sire throw? Extremely important in a milking breed. You don't want tiny teats and poor attachments.

8-Nigerian-8 likes this.
  6. 8-Nigerian-8

8-Nigerian-8 Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Okay, I’m pretty new to dairy conformation. I’m looking to generally improve my herd so I purchased him. He came from a really good show farm. I attached pics of dam( happy hoof acres stardust) and sire (Old mountain farm RobN hood), courtesy of sweet solstice Nigerians. His dam was 2018 canadian west national champion senior doe and sire is out if promisedland nemesis. IMG_8052.jpg IMG_8053.jpg

7. 8-Nigerian-8

8-Nigerian-8 Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Could part of the problem be with how i’m stacking him?

8. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    That may be part of the problem. Could you shave him, part of it may be his hair. I like his sire although his sire does look to have a bit of a steep rump. I like judging conformation when the animals stand naturally that way you can truly know what they look like. With the being said if the buck was standing more naturally I am going to guess his rump is a bit steep.
    The dam is beautiful. Wait another couple months see how he grows. He may change drastically. The parent pairing does seem to have a lot of potential so hopefully, he does grow into himself. I do agree with what was said above that no matter how great the pairing you can still end up with an ugly baby.

8-Nigerian-8 likes this.
  9. 8-Nigerian-8

8-Nigerian-8 Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Ok, Thank you!! I’ll shave him in a few months and see how he looks