The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am showing a jersey heifer next year for a local dairy but I dont really know what I'm doing. I'm familiar with beef cattle though.

I know you walk backwards and wear white. I think they are pretty much slick sheared, uddrr shaved and top line is glued up with adhesive but but how far? Any fitting help appreciated.

Also actual showmanship, how to move around the cow, do you staggr back legs on profile like beef cattle or is it all squared up?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, you show all kinds of animals! Sorry no tips on showing cattle. Good luck! :)
Thanks! She won't be mine but its still an experience... all I need now is hogs and I'm set :)

·
2,203 Posts
Actually you do NOT walk backwards unless the judge looks directly at you. It's always forwards, and when it's backwards it's really facing your animal...not a full blown facing her tail backwards.

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
Awesome!

I have only shown dairy cattle a few times, but here's what I know: Move them incredibly slow, you should stagger the leg that is towards the judge back (this shows off the mammary system), unlike goats you don't move side to side depending on where the judge is (the only sides you move to are the left side and in front of them). Other than just some general knowledge you will do just fine! I had no idea how to show a cow when I walked into the show ring either. :)

Patrick

·
1,625 Posts
Actually you do NOT walk backwards unless the judge looks directly at you. It's always forwards, and when it's backwards it's really facing your animal...not a full blown facing her tail backwards.
Actually you do walk them backward slightly when setting them up. Place your fist on the shoulder of the same side you want her back leg to move on. Push on both the halter and your fist and she should move that back leg back (but we all know how cooperative animals are). :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I watched some youtube videos to get an idea of what to do.

I did notice them only walking backwards when the judge was watching them. And I noticedno show sticks. So you set them with halter preasure and training, correct?

·
1,625 Posts
Thanks! I watched some youtube videos to get an idea of what to do.

I did notice them only walking backwards when the judge was watching them. And I noticedno show sticks. So you set them with halter preasure and training, correct?
Yep, I don't know how to train them though. I showed my first dairy cow when I got into Premier Showmanship, so my cow was already trained. :D

Also, I don't know how to trim them, but my thoughts are the same as yours.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ibread something that said body clip with 31, 10 on face, legs and ears, 30 on tail and udder. The in heifers blend belly hair and not shave completely.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our county spring show and hopefully the state fair, if all goes well.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Yes you do walk backwards. I use to show dairy cattle. I am not sure about the slick sheer, we didn't here at County Fair and they don't here at the state fair?

·
2,203 Posts
Actually you do walk them backward slightly when setting them up. Place your fist on the shoulder of the same side you want her back leg to move on. Push on both the halter and your fist and she should move that back leg back (but we all know how cooperative animals are). :)
No you do not...lol been showing cattle all my life. It's more of a side step the whole time. You pivot in the hips, and slightly turn your body towards the cow/heifer. I have won high honors in county, district, and state level and qualified first round at the WDE. :)

Also do not touch the animal in the ring to switch legs. Your animal should be trained only by halter. You are allowed to slide the ribs over by fingertip, pinch topline down, pinch the tailhead back down, or pull the barrel up.

·
2,203 Posts
Dani-I have a lot of valuable info that may be of some use to you I could copy/send via snail mail or email copies? Info concerning clipping tips, leading tips, fitting tips, etc. Or you can email me and I'll be as thorough as I can possibly be.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It would be great if you'd email my anything you think would be helpful. My email is [email protected]. I'm the oldest doing this project so I have been asked to help all the younger kids who are participating. So I feel like I should know at least fitting basics, halter breaking, training to lead and set their feet. Thank you!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts