The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Registered Boer goat farm consist of 6 goats
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nubian already that I want to breed in spring but she will be bred to a dairy buck but I’m also throwing around the idea of buying a doe turning 4 in March after she kids so she would be newly freshened and milks 11 pounds a day, her milk would be used for the bottle babies and for making lotion and soap after they are all weaned, would this be a good idea as we have 6 first timers in may kidding and then 8 first timers in September

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
If you are experienced goat herder there will be no problem. but if this our first or second kidding I would think about it. that said your plan is the best way to kid out so many FF goats
I shure don't envy you having to milk so many first time girls.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are experienced goat herder there will be no problem. but if this our first or second kidding I would think about it. that said your plan is the best way to kid out so many FF goats
I shure don't envy you having to milk so many first time girls.
oh no all the first timers are Boer lol looking at getting g a ready to milk doe for when we have all those first timers kidding

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have always had a dairy doe or two around. I always had colostrum and some milk on the freezer and the extra milk always came in handy in a pinch. When I lost my alpine I kinda lost heart with having a dairy doe so got a jersey cow. Well that didn’t pan out either so I’m actually looking to add a doe or two back in.
The only thing is if she is very timid and your Boers have horns and use them that might cause a issue. Mine never were timid, that alpine was the devil with no horns. But you just might have to watch the situation at first. They should learn to except her or she learn to just kinda back off of them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have always had a dairy doe or two around. I always had colostrum and some milk on the freezer and the extra milk always came in handy in a pinch. When I lost my alpine I kinda lost heart with having a dairy doe so got a jersey cow. Well that didn't pan out either so I'm actually looking to add a doe or two back in.
The only thing is if she is very timid and your Boers have horns and use them that might cause a issue. Mine never were timid, that alpine was the devil with no horns. But you just might have to watch the situation at first. They should learn to except her or she learn to just kinda back off of them.
yeah if it came down to it she and the other dairy would be put in with our timid Boer doe who doesn't fit in with anyone else

1 - 9 of 9 Posts