Dairy does with boers pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Noisy Bottle Babies, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    I have a Nubian already that I want to breed in spring but she will be bred to a dairy buck but I’m also throwing around the idea of buying a doe turning 4 in March after she kids so she would be newly freshened and milks 11 pounds a day, her milk would be used for the bottle babies and for making lotion and soap after they are all weaned, would this be a good idea as we have 6 first timers in may kidding and then 8 first timers in September

2. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    She’s alpine/Saanen/Togg and is wonderful on the milking stand raised on cae prevention

Attached Files:

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

She is beautiful

Noisy Bottle Babies likes this.
  4. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    If you are experienced goat herder there will be no problem. but if this our first or second kidding I would think about it. that said your plan is the best way to kid out so many FF goats
    I shure don't envy you having to milk so many first time girls.

5. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    oh no all the first timers are Boer lol looking at getting g a ready to milk doe for when we have all those first timers kidding

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds fine. Not a bad idea to have a dairy doe or two just in case.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I have always had a dairy doe or two around. I always had colostrum and some milk on the freezer and the extra milk always came in handy in a pinch. When I lost my alpine I kinda lost heart with having a dairy doe so got a jersey cow. Well that didn’t pan out either so I’m actually looking to add a doe or two back in.
    The only thing is if she is very timid and your Boers have horns and use them that might cause a issue. Mine never were timid, that alpine was the devil with no horns. But you just might have to watch the situation at first. They should learn to except her or she learn to just kinda back off of them.

9. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    yeah if it came down to it she and the other dairy would be put in with our timid Boer doe who doesn’t fit in with anyone else