DAIRY: Experimental breeding opinions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatgirlpwr, May 10, 2018.

1. goatgirlpwr

goatgirlpwr Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Hello. I have had some "oops" breedings that were not planned in the past. But, my question is, to those who experimental breed purposely(LOL) do you prefer does of other breeds or bucks? I know it all depends on what I am wanting out of the cross. I raise LaManchas and have been seeing a few alpine and Saanen lines that have the characteristic's I would love to obtain in my herd. I am still trying to find a course to teach me A.I. so that is out of the question until I get a hands on experience(I have watched so many youtube videos and still have no confidence- Suggestions welcomed or tips!!!!).

Miller'sLostGoat likes this.
  2. Miller'sLostGoat

Miller'sLostGoat Active Member

Apr 26, 2018
    I have some Subians (Nubian/Saanen crosses) and LaNubians (Lamancha/Nubian crosses) I love them. So many positive traits.

goatgirlpwr likes this.

3. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    @mariarose loves crosses! If she gets time, I'm sure she could give you some tips about crosses.

mariarose and goatgirlpwr like this.
  4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Get "real"... VERY "real" about your herd goals, and what you need to be able to market. If your market will only bear purebred ennobled (whatever that means?) show goats, do not go down the crossbred path.

At least until you are experienced enough to try something else.

What will the cross bring to the table? What will crossing cost you? What is most important? (We don't need to know this, but you do)

If you do decide to cross, then get the best buck you can possibly swing. Bucks are the fastest way to change your herd. I'll always spend more for a buck than any individual doe.

And if you decide this isn't for you (crossbreeding on purpose) then it is never too late to go back.

@singinggoatgirl is correct. I love crosses and they are very much on purpose here. But it won't work for everyone. If you want a change, go for a fantastic buck. If you want to stick with what is working for you, no shame in that at all.

5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I love that ADGA allows folks to register and show "Experimentals". Compared to other species of domestic animals, there are very few breeds of goats in the world, and particularly few in the U.S. I would love to see the emergence of more breeds, and the only way to get that is to experiment. I love crossing Nubians with Swiss breeds--particularly Alpines. We also have a little Saanen in our herd, and I'd love to add some Ober blood one day. I find it interesting that the "Best doe in show" is quite often a "Recorded Grade/Experimental". I've seen very little prejudice against them among judges, which is an excellent attitude to have in the show world. So many aspects of breeding and showing are completely snooty, so it's nice to see one area where bias does not rule the day.

6. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I have several experimentals in my herd. I love em! I just had 2 born this morning- my Purebred Lamancha FF doe to my Nubian buck. I got twins (1d/1b) with elf ears. Pretty little kids, flashing coloring with quality genetics on both sides.

7. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

I love and breed LaBoers (Lamancha/Boer) this particular pare I breed gives me the exact bomb proof personality I want/need with positives from both sides, the only negative is my replacement doe has a short neck, and I get the quantity of milk from the LaMancha the creamy quality from the Boer which I just love! 2.jpg

8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Experimenting with dairy/meat crosses can turn out some very fine goats. But one thing to note with cross breeding is whether or not you want registered animals and which registry you want to use. I show dairy goats and I like to keep my lines registrable with ADGA, so I only cross full-sized dairy goats. ADGA does not register dairy goats crossed with meat or mini breeds, including Nigerians even though Nigies are a dairy breed registered with ADGA. Mini Nubians, mini Alpines, and mini LaManchas have gained favor in some areas, but they cannot be registered with ADGA and instead have their own breed registries and separate shows. This sort of thing can definitely impact which breeds you decide to cross.

9. goatgirlpwr

goatgirlpwr Member

Oct 20, 2012
    I Have 5 LaBoers for sale! I have two boer does that ended up sticking around and we decided to breed them to out LM buck, but now we just want to focus on LM's so we are selling them and all their kids.

mariarose likes this.
  10. goatygirl8

goatygirl8 Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Nowhere New Hampshire
    I've always wanted to try cross breeding. It would be great to see results of two different great breeds and bringing their best characteristics together.
    I've always wanted to try LaManchaxSaanen.

11. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I would think crossing within dairy or meat breeds would be a lot easier than dairy x meat.

12. ETgoatygirl

ETgoatygirl Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    I really wish that ADGA would allow experimental registry with Nigerian crosses. Don't get me wrong, I love my purebred Nigerians, but I do think it would be fascinating to add some full size dairy goats into the mix. For now, I guess I'll be sticking with purebreds.

groovyoldlady and Goat_Scout like this.
  13. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I have a little Mini-Lamancha doeling that is a F1 - dam was a registered Lamancha but the sire was an unregistered Mini-Lamancha. Does anyone know if it'd be possible to register her as anything? I guess ADGA wouldn't let me, but would MDGA, even though her sire isn't registered?

14. goatgirlpwr

goatgirlpwr Member

Oct 20, 2012
    International Dairy Goat Registry pretty much lets you register anything grade.

Goat_Scout and aJadeMagnolia like this.