The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we are so new to this. We bought 12 boer nannies. We are hoping to have kids. We are down to 10. It sounds like we have bottle jaw. What on earth is that? How do you treat it. I don't want to lose anymore goats. We are putting up fencing for the winter. We are in ohio. Are there any boer goat breeders on here in ohio? We milk 200 cows 3x per day. We know dairy and beef cows. Now boer goats. We need to replace ones we lost and keep the ones we have.

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Bottle jaw usually happens when there is a heavy worm load. I would have a couple fecals done and see what you have. Make sure they check for coccidia. More than likely they have Barberpole Worm. Check their eyelids to see what color. They should be a nice dark pink color. If closer to white, they are anemic.

For Barberpole you would treat with Ivomec. You can use Ivomec or Ivomec Plus at 1cc per 40 lbs injected SQ.

What vet do you use for your dairy herd? I'm in North Central Ohio.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
If you have bottle jaw, that means they are anemic. The most likely scenario is parasites causing the anemia. Refer to the parasite folder in health and wellness. Look for stickeys on parasites. Have your dairy cow vet do a fecal on your goats. My goat vet is in a dairy practice and he is very helpful do me.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
So sorry you lost some already:( I am no expert, and have never dealt with bottle jaw, but I would worm with ivomec plus, and give them some b complex, and red cell... Again I'm sorry you list some.

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
You can use Red Cell at 6cc per 100 lbs. Give it to them daily for a week. Also give them B Complex daily for a week.

Give them a shot of Ivomec and repeat in 10 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts