dairy goat herd?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by motherof5boys1girl, Aug 28, 2009.

1. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    hi!
    i am thinking forward a bit, but i am wondering how you get together a decent herd of dairy goats? are alpines the best?
    how would one get started?

since we are going to have tons of room among other things, i would like to do this because we all love goat milk here.

:)

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't think there are a "best" milking breed of goat. Each breed is different and some breeds fit the breeders liking, reasons, etc. better than another breed. I think Alpines, Nubians, Lamanchas, and some others have about equal milking ability. I think it really depends on the bloodlines and stuff in each breed not just the breed itself.

If you are wanting to start with the very best goats. I recommend doing A LOT of research on breeders. Check out websites, show wins, etc. try and visit the herds you're interested in. Also look at the dam's of the goats you are wanting for starting your herd. Make sure they have the type of udder you want or close to it. And make sure they are CAE, CL, and Johnes negative when buying.

3. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    thanks for the advice!
    i just want an attractive goat that will give me a decent amount of milk..i am not too worried about an award winning girl, just one that can produce fairly well.

4. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    No problem. :wink:

Well...whatever breed appeals to your liking that's what i'd go for. If you like Alpines then i'd definately try to find a breeder to have a mentor and go from there.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well you may not want the best of the best but do buy from a reputable breeder. One that you can see what kind of kids they are producing adn ask how well the mom milked. You want the doe you purchase to be a good milker as you have to feed them basically the same and you get less milk.

Find a breed you like that is marketable in your area -- find other breeders in your area and see how they do selling their kids or not. It really helps to have a network of people helping eachother.

6. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    oh definitely. i have learned a lot from just reading on here..i wouldve never known about all the different things you are supposed to look for in a goat.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

All very good advice. the only thing i feel that i need to add is get the best you can afford. You may not want show quality but a doe that is put together well (show) is going to hold up longer. even if youre not showing i feel papers are important, they can show milk recods and such of relitives. All useful tools when looking at production. no matter what breed you choose. If you do get show quality you can market the kids at show people.
    beth

8. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    that is very good to know. i wouldn't have thought about that.
    you learn something new every day i guess!

what do you look for when you are looking at their backgrounds?

:dance:

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    There is no "best" breed of goat. But there is definatly a "best" for each person.

Here are some things to look at.

Are appearances important to you? For instance, I like my goats to have ears, so I would never buy a Lamancha goat.

Nubian goats milk is best for making butter and cheese because their butterfat is higher in their milk.

Noise is an issue for me, I don't like nubians because I am sensitive to noise. Nubians can be very loud goats. I would rather have a quieter goat, so I chose alpines.

Alpines can be pushy and more aggressive than other goat breeds, especially durring feeding time.

Is size an issue, or do you only need a little milk? Miniature breeds such as scaled down versions of regular dairy goats might be for you. You could also do pygmy goats or maybe even nigerians.

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Saanens have a very high milk production. However they're all white - usually, unless you get a throw, which is called a Sable.

Nubians have a higher milk quality but a slightly lower production than Saanens.

I have a Saanen/Nubian cross - where the idea is to get the high milk production and the higher milk quality - I dont test my milk so I have no idea if it's true about the quality, but she is producing quite a lot.

I dont really know about other breeds as I only have Saanens and Nubians - but I wouldn't swap them for the world!

LW

PS I must say that my Saanens are "good" while my Snubian is "EVIL" =]

11. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    im looking for something cute, larger than my little mutts that will give decent milk..my family goes through it like water!

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I like LaManchas the best. They are cute, quiet, laid back, although they can be pushy with other goats. They have give good quantities of milk while still maintaining good butterfat and protein and have the ability to milk longer, more level lacations(meaning they'll milk the same amount for a long time, rather than peaking then dropping off)

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Have to do the "push" here for nigies :wink:

Small, cute and give a surprising amount of milk.
    Nigerians and pygmies have some of the sweetest tasting milk, they have a higher butterfat and can give up to 2 quarts a day.

Of course though, with any milk producing goat, the bloodlines as well as the care they get will influence the milk production :greengrin:

14. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    how much will nigerians give at their peak?
    i am so glad to know that bloodlines are important after all! i thought that bloodlines were for looks only and not really relevant for anything else.
    there are a lot of smart ladies on here, thats for sure!

:stars:

15. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm going to have to agree with liz. Nigerians are adorable, make great pets, their babies sell probably easier than larger breed goats(not positive on this...no one jump on me!), easy to handle, eat less than big breed goats, while still producing a pretty decent amount of milk...some milking 2 quarts daily. You can get some that will milk more or less depending on good, fair, or bad milking genetics.

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Once again, bloodlines play a part in milk production.....Binky at peak will give just under 2 quarts daily. If you decide to get a doeling and have her start milking for you as a FF, look at her mother's udder as well as her sires mom....those two things alone can tell you if your FF will be a capacious milker :wink:

ND can give as little as 1 quart or less and as much as 2 1/2 to 3....but that is the exception AND some very well bred girls.

17. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep...totally agree with liz! :thumb:

18. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    wonderful advice. what should i look for?

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Look at breeders close to you, and please be sure to check the market in your area as far as the potential sale of kids( I learned a long time ago it just is not possible to keep every single kid!) Check to see which breeds are the most popular and the purpose, pets, 4H projects, beginning breeders etc. Check out the registries, ADGA, AGS, or for Nigerians, NDGA. You can get a list of members in your state as well as their websites if they have one. I myself am a small scale hobby breeder but I do try to breed up to get the best out of even my cross does. If I feel that the mom isn't a "good enough" milker I say so and those kids are preferred to be pets only.

20. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Just thought I would add somethings about nigies milk production. I've seen a Nigerian doe that produced 3/4 of a gallon each day and that was a second freshener too!!
    I've had first fresheners not in their full capacity produce 4 cups so some lines produce a very suprising amount of milk