Dairy Goat Kids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Yes, I bottle-feed all the kids.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I dam-raise all the kids.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Do you dam raise or bottle-feed? Or both?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We dam raised our dairy kids this year, but we were selling milk this year and kids take ALL the milk. I have no problems socializing dam raised kids but we need the milk to sell. So starting next year we will be bottle feeding all of our dairy kids, a couple does will still get to nurse their kids but most will be on the bottle.

3. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I didn't vote because there was not a "BOTH" option. We bottle feed some and dam raise some. Last year we dam raised most, and bottled raised the kids of the show dam, but they were happy to nurse off mom too, and she was more than happy to let them. That was very handy, as we were not strictly tied to either. I hope to do something somewhat similar this season. We shall see how it goes... =)

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I bottle suppliment, all the babies (or atleast I am going to next year) That way you can feed a small kid more so they catch up! Since we have a lot of quads and triplets, it is really nice.

5. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    I bottle fed 2 out of the three that I have....Its how I got started. :D

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when I had dairy goats I tried it both ways. Both have their pros and cons for different reasons.

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i bottle feed all of mine. i always have. i enjoy it but then i am home all day & have the time to do it. i pull the babies as soon as they are born & heat treat the colostrum & pasturize the milk. i don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. i think it is what works best for each person & there herd. alot of people just don't have the time to bottle raise them.

8. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Both.

Pygmys dam raise unless I need to bottle feed.

Nubians are bottle fed....I raise them on CAE Prevention.

9. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    Bottle-raise. This year I had a Little Miss Stubborn who wouldn't take the bottle so out of 6 I had one dam raised. Next time they're getting pulled imediatly after their first meal.