The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had dairy goats for a couple months. I think my doe was pregnant when I bought her but the previous owner has put the due date anywhere from November to January. Do I need to dry her up? Do you all dry your pregnant does up before kidding??
Thanks!

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
we dry ours at 3 months bred. We start by decreasing feed a little and when milking we don't milk the fully...we continue twice a day until production decreased enough to go to once a day...again..leaving some milk behind when milking...once a 24 hour udder is not tight we skip a day milking...again..not taking it all...until she's down to making about 2 cups or so once a day then we stop all together...keep a close eye on the udder for daily for tightness...each goat is different..some dry up quickly just by decreasing grain...others are super hard and take more time...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Thanks. I've noticed she's been hard to dry and it got me thinking. Is there a way to know for sure if she's pregnant without ultrasound?

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
You can do a blood test...they cost very little, especially if you pull blood yourself...:)

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
well in case you get brave...here is a great video :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts