The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best milk goat has been giving less and less milk over the last week or so. We usually get half a gallon from her every morning, but lately she’s only been giving maybe half that. Is this something that just happens over time, or could there be something wrong? Is there something else I could add to her feed to help with her lactation?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Welcome to TGS!
Is this your doe's first lactation? Do you know when she was normally dried up each year, if this wasn't her first lactation? She could just be starting to go dry.
What are you feeding her?
How does she look physically? Is she bright and active? Glossy, smooth coat? No snotty nose, normal poop, good weight? Is her FAMACHA score good?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to TGS!
Is this your doe's first lactation? Do you know when she was normally dried up each year, if this wasn't her first lactation? She could just be starting to go dry.
What are you feeding her?
How does she look physically? Is she bright and active? Glossy, smooth coat? No snotty nose, normal poop, good weight? Is her FAMACHA score good?
This isn’t her first lactation. And we’ve only been milking her without competition from her kids for a few weeks. Most of the time she doesn’t dry up on her own at all before her next breeding season. I feed alfalfa pellets mixed with small amounts of cotton seed, sunflower seeds, calf manna, and tiny bit of grain. I also give her minerals and a small amount of selenium every day, plus alfalfa hay. Her poop is normal, her eyes and nose are clear, she’s still soft and shiny, but she has lost some weight. Her FAMACHA score is somewhere between a 2 and a 3.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
This isn’t her first lactation. And we’ve only been milking her without competition from her kids for a few weeks. Most of the time she doesn’t dry up on her own at all before her next breeding season. I feed alfalfa pellets mixed with small amounts of cotton seed, sunflower seeds, calf manna, and tiny bit of grain. I also give her minerals and a small amount of selenium every day, plus alfalfa hay. Her poop is normal, her eyes and nose are clear, she’s still soft and shiny, but she has lost some weight. Her FAMACHA score is somewhere between a 2 and a 3.
Sounds to me like she needs more grain and maybe dewormed. Could you be more specific on the grain amounts you give her? What is her body condition like? What breed is she? What minerals do you feed?

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,842 Posts
Heat cycle
Worms (get a fecal to confirm)
Natural lactation curve (is this normal time for her to drop? It's generally the same each lactation)
Mineral imbalance (Copper good? Zinc? Selenium?)
Sub-Clinical mastitis

The above are usually the things that will cause milk to drop.

Are you specifically feeding her the minerals and selenium or are they out for her to eat as she chooses? (They should be for her to choose, not fed directly in feed every day)

Most likely you need to have a fecal done and probably worm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If she's started her heat cycle, that could contribute to reduced milk production, too.
I would second maybe getting a fecal done on her to see if she has a heavy worm load. That can really reduce milk production
She was actually giving more milk during her heat cycle, she’s coming out of it now. And I just dewormed her, so I’m not sure if that’s the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds to me like she needs more grain and maybe dewormed. Could you be more specific on the grain amounts you give her? What is her body condition like? What breed is she? What minerals do you feed?
I just recently dewormed her, so it shouldn’t be that. I give her UltraCruz goat & sheep show and wellness supplements. She’s a mini nubian, around 4 years old. She probably gets a cup or so of grains a day. I give her whole oats and wheat grain.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,842 Posts
Then that would either be a case of sub-clinical mastitis or this is the natural point of her dropping. You can try upping her grain. We raise mini-Nubians as well and they get prob 3 cups on the stand each milking.

How far is she into her lactation? Are you milking twice a day or once a day? Staying consistant?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont know if you use an herbal dewormer, but we have very good luck with ours. We use Annies herbal dewormer and have for around 4 years. No issues since then. This does seem to be possibly a worm related issue perhaps if FAMACHA scores are that low. Sounds like your grain is a good mix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then that would either be a case of sub-clinical mastitis or this is the natural point of her dropping. You can try upping her grain. We raise mini-Nubians as well and they get prob 3 cups on the stand each milking.

How far is she into her lactation? Are you milking twice a day or once a day? Staying consistant?
Thank you so much for telling me about the grain, I think it has made a huge difference. Her milk production is finally back up to what it used to be, and she seems to be feeling a lot better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts