The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I have been only raising goats for 16 months. We started out with mini Nubian. Talked about only starting out with 8, but the joy from raising them, etc we ened last year with 15. Ok with that being said, we decided to get 1 kiko buck and 4 does. Currently we have all the does together and all the bucks together. We have a separate yard and housing for "nursery" we have the dams and babies and also the does close to kidding.

Question. Can the 2 different breeds be ok together?

Thank you Rebecca

·
Registered
600 Posts
They will be absolutely fine together :) A goat is a goat, they all get along lol! The only thing you would have to worry about is if a goat is picking on the others severely(this happens within all goats, not just when different breeds are mixed), in which it looks like they could get seriously injured. This is uncommon though, most goats get along nicely :) Very nice set up by the way!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My family and I have been only raising goats for 16 months. We started out with mini Nubian. Talked about only starting out with 8, but the joy from raising them, etc we ened last year with 15. Ok with that being said, we decided to get 1 kiko buck and 4 does.

I'm assuming the 4 does are also Kiko?

Currently we have all the does together and all the bucks together. We have a separate yard and housing for "nursery" we have the dams and babies and also the does close to kidding.

Question. Can the 2 different breeds be ok together? Thank you Rebecca
Well, that depends on what you mean by "together". Obviously you don't want to allow your Kiko to breed your mini's. You also want to watch out for the larger breed displaying aggression towards the smaller breed. Other than that, they should be ok together.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The buck issue is obvious. Other than that, I keep my Mini Toggs in with my standard Toggs. If anything, I have found that my minis are more plucky than the big goats. One little blue eyed 2 year old is the instigator of most of the rough-housing that goes on. She isn't the least bit intimidated by the big old girls that outweigh her by 75 pounds.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely have the does and bicks separated as far apart as soon can. I check on them often when I am at home. So far my Nigerians and mini Nubian pick on the kiko's. The kiko's don't even fight back. The bucks on the other hand, all breeds antagonize each other. Drives me baddy it is just constant.

Thank you for all the comments.
Rebecca Ramsey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts