The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know for some shows you have to do a record book.
Well somehow I've always got out of it.
I was told you get more $$ so in thinking about doing one for my doe(s).
Any one know how? What goes in it? How many animals I have to do it for?
So confused!
Any help is appreciated!!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I think Caprine Supply and/or Hoegger Supply have a pre-made booklet to record shows for your goats. They also have one for kidding history. I don't keep record of their shows on paper, but it would probably help as more "proof" of how they did.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if they want me to keep record of how they did or how much they cost or what?

For the record book, when we go to shows, it's like the record book, the skill argon, the actual show, and goat judging (for the showers).
I feel like the record book (because you turn it in when you arrive), Is about expenses but I'm not sure D: sooooo confusing...... Lol

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well at least for 4h our record books are a lot of things. Milk production, medicine given, show records, weights, who the dam and sire are, and when she kidded and how many she kidded. That's what's in our record books, but my mom has a paper that she puts all the goats records on like that stuff I posted just minus weights. She gives it to the owner when they buy a goat so they have a sheet to reference too. I also think what you feed them should be on there but I'm not sure.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If you are doing a 4-H/FFA record book, see if you can get a hold of some books done by previous members. That should help give you a better idea of what they want.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking maybe I should put the following info in here:
Feed and how much until when its changed and how many times a day
When in with buck
Medication
The cost of all that stuff and the cups that she milked in a day?
Oh also when she kidded.

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
I used to think record keeping was a pain and took so much time that it wasn't worth it. I couldn't read what I had written and I didn't have enough goats for me not to be able to keep it in my head. However this changed when I began to do it on the computer using Microsoft Word. I scaned a goat record sheet into my computer and made a copy of it. Now all my goats records are kept on the computer and I can add and change them at any time with little effert. I used some of these in this link http://www.boergoats.com/clean/articles/recordkeeping/recordkeeping.htm
and the one at this link though there are many
http://goatdairylibrary.org/forms.html

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh wow!! Thank you!!

I think I like the second one better ;) lol lots more forms.
I went ahead and made 3 of my own but there are still plenty I need that are on that second link!
Thank you SO much!!!!:)

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
Glad to help. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts