Daisy's Cough

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Jan 11, 2009.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Hi Everyone,
    Our doe Daisy has always been a bit of a cougher. Lately, though, she seems to be coughing a lot more. She has no runny nose, her eyes are clear, coat is good, she's due to freshen in March. Could this be lungworms? I've wormed all of my goats this past week with Ivermectin and will be re-treating when the time comes. But I don't like that she keeps hacking. Any thoughts? She was our very first baby and we love her! Please advise. Thank you! Brooke

2. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    Try mixing 2 parts molassas with one part garlic powder and drench her with 30 cc of it . repeat in about 3 days .I had a doe that coughed all the time just like you . Everything else was fine . I do all my goats every 2 weeks . No more coughing and it has cut down on when I need to worm.
    Karen

3. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks, Karen, I went straight to the kitchen and made some up. Nasty smelling stuff, ain't it? But I love that it's not MEDICINE. I'd rather go organic/homeopathic first, whenever possible. Hope it works! :)

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks for sharing that Karen! I'm going to try it! We've been researching homeopathics for a couple of our goatie's coughs. We're using Drosera now but I'm always up for trying a herbal blend. So, thanks!! :D

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Karen,
    Do you know a dose for kids??
    I am going out first thing in the AM to treat all my does!
    Thanks for sharing!! :greengrin:

6. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    With the little ones I do half say 10-15 cc depending on their size.
    Karen

7. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    From things that I have read here and else where garlic is good for lots of thing when it comes to not only goats but people. Check out the things it good for under a post about stitches .
    Karen

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    This does sound great. I just want to verify/make sure I understand correctly - that it can be done on a pregnant doe at any point in her pregnancy? There is no water, just the molasses an garlic powder?

9. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    you might need to add a bit of water to thin it out so you can get into a drench gun/ syringe .I am sure if you are in the extreme cold it will be way to thick to get in to either.

10. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    So is this dosage for large goats??
    I gave 5mls each to my Nigerian babies last night and no coughing yet today!!
    Yippie!!

11. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    i use that dose on my boer's

12. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Yes, it is very thick...I actually warmed it a bit in the microwave and it was easier to get into the drencher. I hope this works, what a great idea!

13. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Well, my little doeling was coughing a bit today, but not as much as she was!! I dosed the rest of the goats tonight, boy what a sticky mess!! I ended up giving 25 cc per nigerian, and it was a bit diluted with water, I couldn't squeeze it out of the dosing syringe..I will be repeating in three days..gosh I hope it WORKS!! thanks for the advise!!

14. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Oh my goodness gracious sakes of mercy!! You people ROCK!! I mean if I was there I would hug you!
    I have been dealing with an obnoxious cough from my goaties for MONTHS!!! THE COUGH IS GONE!!!
    Even my deal old Guinny(she's 12 now) is not coughing ANYMORE!! Forget the hug..I would KISS YOU!!
    Thank you for sharing your potion!! I haven't even done the 2nd dose yet, I will be doing it today!!!
    Yea for molasses and garlic!!! :clap: :party: :party: :stars: :hi5: :wahoo: :leap: :cool: :cool:
    etc etc etc....