Dam feed or bottle? Do you enjoy hand raiseing kids?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kritterkeeper, Jul 26, 2009.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Question:

1) Dam feed or bottle?

examples: you have a doe who you got at age 5 yrs, but she is not friendly really at all-let her raise the babies or you?

2) Who enjoys bottle feeding and hand raising kids?

Donna B

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmmm.....there are so many who do both, bottle and dam raise. You will surely be getting all sorts of ways to raise kids, you do whatever is best for your herd as well as you and those babies :wink:

I let my moms raise their babies, even if mom is not the most friendly doe, it is daily handling of the kids by you that makes them friendly.....and the plus to dam raised kids is that they are getting mom's milk when ever they want it, not on a schedule leading me to believe that dam raised kids seem to grow better than the few bottle raised that I have had experience with. I have found in the last 7 years of having kids born, regardless of wether they get handled daily, goats do have their own personalities, some want to be loved and cuddled while others, not wild, but more independent, they can take you or leave you as long as they get fed.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I know nothing about raising little ones as all my goats are wethers, but this spring I purchased a little 10wk old buckling that was dam raised, he came from a large breeding farm and I was told by the breeder that he had not been handled much and was a bit wild........well, once we got him home and started handling him and spending time with him, treating him just like my other guys, he was far from wild.......he is the sweetest most friendly little goat....he just melts me, he is the first one climbing my leg wanting his morning loving when I get out to the barn in the mornings!

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have always done both. I leave them to be dam-raised for the most part, but at two weeks of age I separate the kids from their moms in the evenings so I can milk the moms the next morning. I offer the kids a bottle before I put them back with their moms so they aren't too hungry and attacking their mom's udder as soon as they see her.

If possible, I like to feed the kids their first meal (colostrum) from a bottle because it makes them more accepting of it later on.

I don't really do it to make the kids more friendly...with regular handling they are friendly whether bottle-fed or not...I do it so they're not as rough on their moms...and because I enjoy feeding them. :)

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We raise meat goats so unless there is a rejection or quads everyone is dam raised. Even then, we only supplement if someone isnt getting their "fair" share. And they still get to nurse.
    The first time my Nubian quaded two got bottles. This went on for a month or so before I caught them helping themselves to their own dam. They sure knew how to work the system!!
    I dont like bottle babies they are pests! :greengrin: I cant go out there without my now weaned 5mo old in my face & hanging out following & "helping" me. If I sit down she will curl up near me for a nap. I love her but she also tries to sneak out the gate when Im trying to leave.
    Everyone is reasonably friendly,as already said some really friendly & others more independent.
    Its their job not mine to feed thier kids.
    But you will find folks who pull all kids, it depends on your operation.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i dont bottle feed. i really try to stay away from it, in my opinion I think its more practical for my goats they seem to grow better, and wont become depressed/noisy from leaving their mom's/kids.
    but it depends on the breeder

7. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I bottle fed and dam raised this year. The dairy kids were bottle fed & the boer kids were dam raised. I loved bottle feeding!! :love: The dairy kids were MUCH more friendly and sweet. We handled the boer kids daily and they were still pretty wild-you had to chase them to catch them, but once you got them they were very sweet. I guess it all depend on the breeder. :greengrin: Hope that helps!! :)

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have done both adn it really depends on the temperment of the kids. I dont like the demanding nature of the bottle raised but I cant get away from it since I have ot bottle feed the quads 2 times a day

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I personally will only pull kids if there is a good reason - like mother rejection - or what not. I personally can not stand bottle raised kids - but I don't like things that are in my face either or being confined for 6-8 weeks from doing what I like to do when I do because I have to feed every 2 hours :)

I think it is important for the kids to learn from momma when ever possible. There is the way of seperating them and working with them and they can be just as friendly as a bottle raised kid as long as they are handled and messed with from the beginning.

But, again, that is just my personal opinion and what I do at my ranch. Everyone has their own way that works for them :thumb:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I believe in ....if it's not broke.. don't fix it...LOL :greengrin: in other words....let mother nature take it's course ...only intervene... if the babies... aren't getting enough...... :wink:

11. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I do not bottle feed unless it is completely necesary but, I know of some friends of mine that bottle feed all and they have like 40 kids at a time. It is up to you but keep in mind how much time it ill take to bottle feed and everything.

12. We do all we can to let the doe raise the kid regardless of temperament.

The reason is, most kids do not learn what it is to be a goat. They think they are a human and their instincts are not as most goats in time of needs due to this. Just my thoughts. But they really never become part of a herd as they don't see themselves as part of a herd. Now this is not all goats but many of them.

13. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I prefer dam raised too. Just my opinion, but there is nothing worse than and intact buck that was bottle raised.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He he....I agree there, my nigi buck was bottlefed, though he is a small boy, and has grown more independent in 2 years....he can still be an in your face boy and very stinky :greengrin:

15. And the bigger breeds will try and get you down to mount you.

16. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Amen to both those last 2 posts!

17. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I do a combo w/ my sell kids, they are dam raised, but supplimented w/ a bottle, best of both Worlds! For my keepers I bottle raise, I just enjoy doing it!

As for in your face demanding bottle babies, you'd have no idea which of my goats were bottle raised and which were dam raised! You may guess on a few of the dam raised one, but none that were born here! My pestiest goat was fully dam raised!

18. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i have only bottle feed mine. i have 3 bucks right now & the one that is 4 yrs old is a perfect gentleman. when the girls are in season i can go in with the 3 bucks & not worry at all. they have never come after me. i love hand raising mine. i do heat treat the colostrum & pasturize the milk & my babies are big healthy alpines. it depends on what works for you. there is no right or wrong. alot of people don't have the time to hand raize them.

19. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I like all the post~

I have had 12 goats, and all but 2 have been bottle feed, the bottle feed one are very friendly, the other 2 kinda stand offish....

We only have one pushes one and of course she is the biggest one of all, but she pretty much only pushes me around... it is when you are petting someone else and she thinks it should be her...

We have a weird combo of Alpine Crosses and Pygmys...

It is funny though when we got our first Pygymy babies we took them everywhere with us like little dogs, PEOPLE loved it.. now we plan around feeding times more so we do not have to take them all the time...

Although we have family reunions 2 weekends in a row so Beatrice may get to go, because no one to watch her and beside the one on my side most of them are from the city and I think they will get a kick out of seeing her....

Donna B

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I bottle raise most of my kids. I had two last year that were born late and everyone was just about weaned by then. I let their dam raise them. Ieven with daily handling they were tyrants. hard to handle and show and not the type that would come and walk up to you for pettings. My bottle raised kids are much friendlier. They learn at a young age that jumping up on people is not ok.thyey do learn manners. I have never had an obnoxious bottle kid.
    beth