Dam raise or not?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by JessaLynn, Oct 8, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    We are expecting our first kids to be born December 24th (busy day but a blessing) from our Nubian doe.She was bred with a nigerian dwarf buck so will be getting first generation mini nubians if I'm not mistaken,Anyhow I was wondering wether to let her raise her kids or to bottle feed them.I want them to be friendly and was told they will need to be bottle fed if I want them to be.True or no? Tell me your experiences please!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you will get lots of differnet responses on this but we will all agree that handling makes all the difference.

I have had bottle raised who were friendly as all get out and ones who could care less and ran from me same goes for dam raised.

do a search you will find other threads on this area

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As Stacey said, a search will find you all kinds of answers.

I myself have never pulled kids to bottle feed, mama's were made for that. To have friendly kids that don't see you as a food source, all it takes is them bonding to you from day one. I am with each mom as she delivers, the first to imprint the kids with human touch that continues by me til the day they leave, then it is up to the new owners to continue to reinforce that bond with themselves. :wink:

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I've never had to, but unless I have to, I would not. My goats get time spent with them and my goats have been extremely friendly. :shrug: Just depends on how much time you have to work with them.

5. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    We bottle/bucket feed our kids to raise them on disease prevention. It also makes them friendlier. When we had the Kikos we dam raised those kids and we could not get those kids to be friendly. Even though we were out there from the time they were born. I'm not saying dam raised kids can't be friendly...we've just never had luck with it. :shrug:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    all of ours are dam raised. thoguh the friendliest doe I have had stretched leg ligaments when she was born, so I was helping her alot...she ened up to be attached. :love: calypso.

but alot of the dam rasied are very friendly.

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks for the opinions.I would rather let mom raise her own like mother nature intended that's my main goal.I will be handeling them regardless as much as I can so hope they do become friendly.I guess we shall see!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I like to have them Dam raised ........unless something happens.... that they need help....then I will bottle feed...that hasn't happened for years... :wink: ......but... I have found... that with both ways....if you work with them... they will be friendly either way..... :wink: :greengrin:

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We dam raise for the most part. I spend a lot of time with them to make them tame and friendly and it works for our goats at home. The farm can be a different story at some times. . .

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    We dam raise, and just spend TONS of time with the kids, especially in the beginning. A favorite thing of mine to do is separate the babies from momma and just sit with them for a bit every day. Eventually they quite looking for momma and come over to check me out and discover how marvelous a shoulder scratch feels. Soon after that, I can't keep them away from me. :greengrin:

This has worked even for wild mommas.

11. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    I prefer to dam raise as 1 it's less work...you don't have to be at home at the set time to feed :)
    2 mothers milk is better....
    but they are more wild.....unless you take the time to handle them (mine were paddock reared and they were mad)
    but if you want the milk right from the start ---well you won't get any while the kids are on mama

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I've always done both! The kids stay with their mom for the most part, but at 2-3 weeks old, I separate the kids at night so I can milk the moms in the morning and I offer the kids a bottle before I put them back with their moms.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats about how I do it FRF! Kids are separated at 2-3 weeks old at night then with mom all day, the bottle I offer is usually refused though.

14. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I was told you have to bottle raise them for them to be friendly. So the first kids I ever had I pulled them and bottle feed them. Four kids... man it was alot of work. And some of the moms were so sad... i felt bad. 3 of the 4 kids were super super friendly. One was still a bit stand offish.

The next year I decided Id try letting the moms raise them unless their was a problem. I also had 12 kids that year... had to bottle raise one. All were super friendly and very well socialized.

This year I will do the same as last... let the moms do it unless they cant or wont. I have 15 does this year... gonna be alot of kids lol.

15. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    wow alot of different views on it.Love it thanks ya'll! I like the idea of them being with mom during the day and pull them at night.I might do that if we have more then one born of course.Sounds logical as I would want milk for ourselves and could milk them early morn and put the kids back in with her when I'm done.Good info thanks again!

16. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We pull all of our kids and bottle raise them. Probably about 99 percent of them turn out to be tame and friendly. If you dont mind bottlefeeding kids-then i'd bottlefeed. But, if you dont want to deal with bottlefeeding and have no need to worry about disease possibility then you can raise it on the mother.

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I bottle raise as well. Mostly for the friendlier easier to handle kids. I work fourty to sixty hours a week, i take a long lunch and race home to feed kids. one in the morning once after work and once around 11 at night before i go to bed. before they are a couple months old i usually try and throw at least one more feeding in there. It makes for a lot of work, but the kids see me as mom and are friendly. and my does are much easier to handle when it comes time for hoof trimming vaccinations etc. Plus it gives me an excuse to run my hands over my does twice a day, check for any bumps lumps scratches etc.
    beth

18. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Just a note, I wasn't swearing in my last post- That is the way it is said on registration papers-I in no way meant it in the curse word mode.

19. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I try to give them their first meal from a bottle if I am there for the birth--it makes them much more receptive to bottle-feeding later.

20. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    We bought our goats from a dairy farm so they raised them on a CAE prevention plan--all kids were bottle fed and never even got licked by their mothers. We prefer to dam raise them though, because it's more natural and I don't like to bottle feed. We bottle fed our buck and our other two kids were dam raised, and I can't tell a difference--they are all friendly. Our does got to experience having babies around for the first time this spring, with little Bucky and one set of twins, and they all loved the babies! Our two older does kidded before we bought them, but they were nursing the kids that were not theirs too!

We have handled our kids daily since they were born, and even brought them into the house to just cuddle and play with them in the evenings. They spent the first two weeks with mom all the time, and then were put up in their own stall at night so that I could get some milk too. We started training them to lead with leashes at a week old, along with letting us hold their feet, look in their mouths, and touch them all over. They were all getting on the milking stand for me at a month old, and our little doeling now gets 'pretend' milked when I am milking the does, just so she gets to know her place in line and gets used to being handled and having her udder touched.