Dam raised kids?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RPC, Jan 4, 2010.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Ok I didnt know what to title this one, but I have 2 does that I bought and neither one have ever raised their kids before. The last owners practiced CAE prevention, even thought they were tested and didnt have CAE. Ruby is 4 and Faith is 2. My question is do you think when they give birth they will raise their kids? I dont want to bottle feed, I will, but dont want to. Since they are used to having their babies taken away, I didnt know if that would affect them enough to not want to take care of the kids. I will deff. keep my eye on them and make sure the kids are eating. I just wonder what everyone else thinks. I only have 8 more days till Ruby is due and I am kinda worried.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Regardless of wether they raised their babies or not, the maternal instinct is very strong.....if you can be available when they kid, it will ensure your peace of mind to help them bond.

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Thanks liz that is kinda what I was thinking but I always think about what bad could happen. Since she is due on the 12th I thought about taking the 12th and 13th off of work so i am sure I am here when she kids. The owner said all of her does so far this year have gone 1 day past their due date.

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

agreed..they shouldn't have any problem. Try to be around though if possible in case there are any complications. You just never know with first timers. I can't remember the time frame for the kids to get the first drink but I think they need that colostrum within the first hour so it's good to be around to make sure they get at least a few mouthfuls. You can even help the kids out by holding them or trying to milk some into their mouths but for the most part the kids know what to do & mom usually wants that released pressure of her udder.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What really stinks is even if you do take those days off work, you can be sure that she will have them the day after. With these girls you never know.

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have a nubian whose first kids were taken away at birth, then I got her. She kept her kids here, it was her second kidding, and she adored her kids, and she also was a great auntie last summer when I didn't breed her. She still is always with her daughter. Her breeder shook his head and said that was after four generations of trying to breed the maternal instinct out of them. We do put the kids on them to show them how to eat, especially if it is the first time.

Jan

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would try and be there for the birth, some moms just dont has as much maternal instinct as others. You shouldnt have a problem, but i had a lamancha doe who had never raised kids before the first year i had her i let her have her kids and she cleaned them and walked away from them. I always bottle raise my kids, but unlike a lot of people i do let my does clean and bond a little with their kids. Its harder to take them away and they cry but i know they will take care of them if im not there.
    beth