The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe that is raising triplets. They are a month old and her udder has started to look a bit beat up. She has some abrasions on her teats and scabs above the teats. She is supposed to be shown this season. Any recommendations? I was thinking of separating her and bringing her in a couple of times a day to feed the babies one or two at a time until her udder heals. I've also heard of people filing kids' teeth. How do you do this and does it help?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I understand your problem. We have a doe with 2 weeks old triplets. However early on we decided to bottle feed one of them, which ever one would take a bottle, as it turns out any of them will take a bottle which surprised us. But your idea of separating them and only letting 2 nurse then the other one sounds like a plan. But most of the time a doe will let the kids nurse a short time and then walk off. Also how are you going to tell how much milk the first 2 kids got and how much is left for the last one ? It is kinda late in the game to start bottle feeding one so I think if I were in your shoes, that I would let the first 2 nurse for a few seconds and remove them and then try and get the 3rd kid on to nurse which may require you feeding the doe after the first 2 nurse so she will stand and allow the 3rd kid to nurse. Also watch their little bellies while nursing and you can see their bellies start to fill up with milk,that would be an indicator to you as to how much milk the first 2 kids are getting. Trial and error will usually help you figure what you need to do. But yes, by keeping the kids separated from the doe will help her udder and teats heal and get back into good health. That's my advice, 2 cents worth or what ever you want to call it. Good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can you separate them at night, maybe put some udder balm on her and then milk her in the morning? That would give her a 12 hour break from the little vampires each day.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, little vampires isn't far off! I have been separating her from the kids overnight and started milking a little bit out in the morning 2 weeks ago. I started putting udder balm on her when I saw her teats were getting beat up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts