Dam rejecting kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nancy d, Mar 1, 2008.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    This is quickly developing into an emergency. One week doeling disbuded today at future owners request.
    She is part of set of trips. Mom Mystify has been known to reject smallest but doing very good this yr taking care of them.
    She has butted this little thing around off & on for the past couple hrs she stands in the corner while her siblings bounce around.
    Squirted dams milk on her head didnt work. Even rubbed dams feces on her(not in horn buds)
    Took her out, afraid to leave her in with Mystify so I could get some help here.
    I do not want to bottle feed, future owner does not want to either. The only other option I may have is trying to graft her onto another doe...her sister, they have traded kids before on their own.
    Thanks I'll try to be back in a few.

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That is really bad luck. I know with horses sometimes vicks is dabbed on the Mom's nose to keep her from smelling anything- not much of a suggestion.

Maybe a little time will allow the doeling to not smell so strong of burnt hair?

3. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    i sure hope so! I will try to vocks.
    did take her to the sister & rubbed some blood on her but she wouldnt take her. Poor thing, brought in house cleaned her up going back out now with the vicks

4. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Initial crisis over...milked dam, syringed about 12 cc into doeling..hadnt eaten for over 4 hrs. Then dh held dam, doeling sucked from teat dam not very happy about it. Too bad,Mystify.
    We are not out of woods yet but Im fine with putting this thread somewhere else. Still do not want to bottle feed..too dogone expen$ve!
    Could not find the Vicks so Bag Balm was my drug of choice. Put it on her sisters as well.
    When I called lady who did the disbudding she said to use vanilla on nose & rear as well as dams nose. IMO Apparently it doesnt matter what the smell is.
    She also said doeling should have been presented butt first....don't remember if that was the case or not.

I couldnt smell any burnt hair...the lady shaved around buds, did the job & sprayed Furazone I believe..it was yellow.

5. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Right now we are just holding the dam, one of us at the head & the other lifting a rear leg.
    Come tues will have to come up with something if she doesnt resolve this herself cause hubby back to work.
    Doeling knows mom does not like her. If push comes to shove I will probably just steal a little milk from everyone to bottle feed. :angry:

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can also use peppermint oil, put it on mom's nose and her head and tail.

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Between dh & me we keep going out there holdling her over the last few days I can now do it by myself as she is not fighting it as much...there still may be hope!

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Hope that you will come to your senses and get rid of the goats? Too late for that. You're doomed- Dooommmmmed!

I think you will win this battle though.

9. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Annoymyride :p that has certainly crossed my mind, at least whats left of it!!
    Actually, much to my surprise went out just now and she was nursing her!!!