The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
My first ever doe will be 145 days on March 5th or 6th depending on which day I go by. I witnessed breeding on both. She has a nice little udder going on too and is also a FF. We can sit here and twiddle our thumbs together lol. We're 2 weeks away and I feel like I have so much to do, but also think the time is going to drag on and on.

We are in central IL so we got hit with the below zero temps and dumped on by nearly a foot of snow. At least we are equipped to deal with the weather and everyone took it in stride. The kicker of it all is that I need to get stuff ready for the arrival of little ones. The cold really kept me from completing some last minute task that need taken care of like adding chicken wire to the bottom of our cattle panels to keep the little ones in. Setting up what I hope to be the official kidding area. I have two options for this, one will be in the main area of the goats, but sectioned off with pallets and/or a cattle panel, the other is on the back side of the barn in the other little add-on that's back there. The goats would be able to hear each other, but not see each other, so Im not sure that this route is the best since I only have the two of them down there right now. The "herd" queen is due second, so I have concerns about how she will treat the other mama and the babies when they get here. We have a new ND goat in QT that's 3.5 months old, and she was trying to charge her through the fence yesterday. Makes me nervous for the arrival of babies.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
We can sit here and twiddle our thumbs together lol. We're 2 weeks away and I feel like I have so much to do, but also think the time is going to drag on and on
Oh I'm so happy to wait and twiddle my thumbs with you! Pallets is exactly what I used to block off part of my kidding pen - my two pregnant ones are best buddies and Maria CAN NOT tolerate being away from Frida, so I used pallets specifically so she would at least be able to see her while they are separated. I hope it's going to be enough to keep her calm - she has a history of going absolutely ballistic and rushing the electric fence when Frida goes into the milking parlor.

How long does your other goat have to stay in isolation?

·
Registered
210 Posts
It will be 2 weeks on Tuesday. She's a little bitty thing compared to the other 2 girls, so I am nervous about putting them together. What I think I'm going to do is put the 10x10 dog pen in the goat pen or at least a bit closer to the main pen, add the igloo house, and give her another couple weeks near them. This is what I planned to do anyways, but after seeing the fence charging response, it just reinforced my plan. By this point the babies should start arriving and I can see how Zeppy is going to behave with them. That will help me to decide if I pull her for time-out until after she kids, or let everyone integrate. I know that some bit of pushing and shoving and head butting will happen because of herd hierarchy, but I won't allow for full on abuse.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I love Frida's udder so much. I believe she has 12-17 days left and it is already looking and feeling great. This will be her second freshening and I'm really excited to see what she can do. She was bred to my buck whose dam has the prettiest udder I've personally ever seen (https://www.oldmountainfarm.com/sweet-goat-farm-violet-crawley) so I have very high hopes for any doelings.

PXL_20210222_155750839.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
Omg omg omg. This was Maria earlier and now her ligaments are very mushy, if present at all. She's day 144. It is really hard to tell when she's getting ready because she's had a puffy vulva and discharge for over a month now. View attachment 200359
We're day 144/145 and this was last night at 9:30ish.... and she's still holding them hostage lol. Looks like were on kid watch together
20210304_211535.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Maria is acting like nothing is out of the ordinary. :Eyeroll: She ate her breakfast and wanted to be scratched. Ligaments seem very jiggly but maybe not completely gone? My spouse keeps telling her "I want my doelings!"

The only out of the ordinary behavioral thing we've seen is a couple of incidents of her squatting to pee, but not peeing. She's done this a few times last night and a few times this morning. She also acted a bit restless last night but no progression yet.

And lol, coffee&chickens! We are definitely in the same boat!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Frida's holding her tail funny, didn't want her grain, seems distracted, and is mumbling to her tummy. No discharge yet (and I'm not worried about a return of her bout with toxemia because she had a pure negative ketone test yesterday afternoon). I can still feel ligaments but I think we are approaching go time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
PXL_20210306_183427119.jpg
PXL_20210306_204626653.jpg
PXL_20210306_204325590.jpg
PXL_20210306_183427119.jpg
PXL_20210306_204325590.jpg
signal-2021-03-06-130402.jpg
I WENT IN THE HOUSE TO GET A CUP OF COFFEE AND CAME DIRECTLY BACK AND THERE WAS A KID HALFWAY OUT.

Literally the easiest kidding ever. She plopped all three out within 20 minutes, expelled ate the placenta, and hardly made a noise. All bucklings of course, but we are so happy she survived the toxemia that we aren't too mad!

The two white ones nursed a bit but the black one is having a bit of trouble finding a teat. How long should I let him try before I give him a bottle?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts