Dandelion Weed Control

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by deenak, May 21, 2008.

1. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    My husband wants to spray the dandelions in our yard but I told him not until I post on goat spot. I like to let my goats out in the yard everyday and they sometimes eat those dandelions. What can he use to get rid of them that won't hurt the goats?? Any ideas anyone? I don't really mind the weeds but he doen't like them.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We never spray them. The goats like the to much. I don't know what you could use that would not hurt the goats. I do know when we spray for something ( I do not know what he is filling), we do not let the goats get to the weeks for sometime,

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Dandelions are the perfect plant- You can eat the leaves and roots, the goats and horses love them. The dog will dog up loose ones and eat the roots.There are a lot of dandelion lookalikes out there but dandelions are a treasure.
    First they bloom in the spring and the goats go through and eat all the blossoms off them. Then the horses go through and eat all the leaves- yum yum.

But your question was about a non-toxic spray. I've heard that a strong vinegar solution will kill them but I have never tried it so can't vouch for it.

Maybe ask an organic gardener. I know I would never believe that the weed killer people say.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I wouldn't spray the dandelions, that will hurt the goats. I'm trying to think, a while ago I remember I found a natural way to take care of them, ugh my mind is blank. I'll google it and see.

5. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Dandelions may be bothersome to the picky mower of the yard...like my hubby...he can't stand the way they lay down while he cuts then they "pop" back up after he's made a pass! :ROFL: ....Personally I love the way my yard looks with all those yellow posies and wilted dandelion salad is awesome! Just wait til summer when the clover blooms...yellow and white posies to make my yard pretty...darn goats will ONLY eat the posies I PLANT!! :scratch:

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    They have a fire torch thingy, that attaches to a small propane tank. You can burn them with that. That should appeal to the "man" thing. But, I just let the goats eat them.