Dandruff

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Jan 1, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Maddie has really bad dandruff. I've tried putting Livamol and oil in her feed, that hasnt worked, tried an apple cider vinegar rinse, that didnt work, tried an iodine wash yesterday, I think it has made a little improvement.

What do you suggest for dandruff?

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    head and shoulders

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I wondered about that actually, just human dandruff shampoo.

Guess that would have been cheaper than the $30 medicated wash from the vet :doh:

4. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    :doh:
    Probably, keren.
    lol.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i've used it on market wethers and my sister even used it on her steer.. it works like awesome

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :doh:

feeling pretty blonde right now

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    haha .. you weren't blonde... you were over complicating it haha

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Pam ... I know :oops:

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I use that on my horses sometimes. I told our neighbor once (who also has horses and thinks she knows it all) and she's like omg...I would never use human shampoo on my animals! I'm just like alright then, you keep on spending $40 a bottle on "special horse shampoo"... :ROFL:

11. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I use Sauve shampoo and their conditioner on my animals . A lot of show people around here use it also. It cheap and works wonderfull. With the conditioner you can leave it on the horse's tail and tame without rinsing it, helps so much with the tangles .
    Karen

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    LOL... :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Anyway, I just wanted to add that sometimes dandruff can be caused by fungal/bacterial infections of the skin. If that was the case Medicated Selsun Blue (yes, the stuff for people) works wonders. When my brother was a wrestler, he would use that stuff religiously...and when I was a pet groomer I used it many times for dog skin conditions.

For regular flakiness, any human dandruff shampoo should work fine...

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would say that you need to get to the root of the problem. Do your goats get cooper? That is one reason they will get dandruff. Now sometimes it is just that fact that they are getting a little to much sun. I give my goats Aloe Vera juice also if they have dandruff. Also BOSS. Black Oil Sun Flower Seeds.

I have to come up with other ways of treating it because you can not bath Cashmere goats.

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont know about Sulsun Blue but I have have been told and have experienced that "junky" human shampoos are very harsh on dogs and goats skin. I now only use dog shampoo on the goats and dogs.

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I've used Suave shampoo and conditioner on our goats before going to shows. Works great and smells good too!! :D

16. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    We use the condictioner on the tails and mains in our herd of horses when they get burs in them. I used Head and sholders on Pani when he has bad dander and he has not had any since.

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks for the alternative suggestions Lori. I will give her a nutrimol drench and chuck a hunk of the copper block in for her - although she's not really one that goes for the blocks. Might need to offer her some loose minerals.

18. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Anti-Dandruff shampoos are usually very moisturizing--I have never had any issue with it drying skin, but I also have noticed that certain human shampoos are kind of harsh when using them on myself...a cheap alternative for pets is Johnson+Johnson Head to Toe Baby Wash--it is even less drying than most pet shampoos I've tried.

Personally, for routine washing, I like using my own homemade soap better than anything else (on me and my pets)--I know exactly what's in it and it is not drying at all...Plus it is unscented...you have to figure that all the fragrance in most shampoos is probably irritating to an animal with a sense of smell many times greater than ours.