The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i live on the west coast. luckily the closest fire is out today. the next closest is an hour plus away both directions. smoke is really bad of course and it looks like dusk even during the day.
so.... i have one doe who was recently bred, what is the likely hood of having issues if she is pregnant with all this smoke. i was lucky that she is the only one so far.
should i just write it in my notes and hope for the best.
even with a mask on its difficult to stay outside for very long. :(

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, i dont have a barn yet. just moved a few months ago. they are in a temp enclosure which works great right now due to the possibility of having to evacuate. They have shade from large trees.
my three youngest kids that i bought from a different farm that already had respiratory issues this year are coughing again. i will give them the rx.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
hi, i dont have a barn yet. just moved a few months ago. they are in a temp enclosure which works great right now due to the possibility of having to evacuate. They have shade from large trees.
my three youngest kids that i bought from a different farm that already had respiratory issues this year are coughing again. i will give them the rx.
Garlic for everyone too.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will try garlic again. the two times i tried didnt go too well. no one likes it even with molasses or apple sauce or figs.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
1. Whole cloves (goats take them as treats)

2. Whole cloves coated in molasses or honey

3. Suggestion #1 but tossed with feed

4. Suggestion #2 but tossed with feed

5. Crushed or chopped garlic in feed

6. Suggestion #2 but crushed or chopped in feed

7. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of applesauce

8. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of mashed bananas

9. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of pumpkin puree

10. Suggestion #7, #8, or #9 with Slippery Elm Powder added

11. Crushed garlic mixed with a bit of flaxseed meal and molasses to form a ball

12. Suggestion #11 can be shoved into the mouth of a goat a few times forcefully if they don’t like it at first

13. Suggestion #11 can also be tossed into feed, or broken up slightly, then mixed with feed.

14. Garlic can be put into a peanut hull

15. Take a banana slice about an inch thick, scoop out the middle leaving a bit on the bottom, stick the clove in (or crushed garlic) cover the top, and offer to the goat or forcefully put into the goats mouth until they realize it is tasty.

In emergency (non-regular) situations

16. Crushed finely and mixed with water to drench carefully

17. Crushed finely and mixed with juice (carrot, fruit) to drench carefully

18. Crushed finely and mixed with olive oil to drench carefully or feed from a spoon

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Use VetRX in her nostrils. Keep wet towels or blankets over the doorway of barn to help with filtering.
It may sound bad but here goes.... i would be afraid to use vet rx or any menthol on them right now. It will open up all passages really good and let them inhale more smoke than they might without it. Jist my two cents. It is a dang if you do dang if you dont situation i think.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
It may sound bad but here goes.... i would be afraid to use vet rx or any menthol on them right now. It will open up all passages really good and let them inhale more smoke than they might without it. Jist my two cents. It is a dang if you do dang if you dont situation i think.
Possibly... but when I dealt with smoke inhalation it was the only thing that helped them breathe better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’m not sure how many head you have or where you live in Oregon, but the Oregon state fairgrounds are open for evacuee animals as well as people. They set up all of the pens. Also, people on Facebook are advertising their farms for free board until the fires die. You could just send the kids and the doe who need to get away from the smoke.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Such a hard place to be..im sorry. Land of Havilah carries a herbal blend and extract for the lung and bronchial ....that and fresh raw garlic should help. Also LOH herbamins to support their system.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you, i dont know if oregon state has better air quality at the moment. i came back from eugene area(same general area weather wise) and it was just as bad or a bit worse due to more ash in the air. here just a tiny bit of ash.
i dont need to evacuate luckily. the closest fire is 50% contained now. we live across the river, thru a valley and up a hill from the fire so it would have to be crazy windy to get larger again. rain in the forecast tomorrow. so we shall see. hopefully we get rain. helps that im 45 minutes to the coast so at least we get a tiny bit of clean air.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just saw something saying that NASA expects the smoke to reach almost every U.S. continental state. You definitely will not be alone in this. Absolutely should talk more about having goats when there are wildfires! Prayers for everyone dealing with this.

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 13 of 13 Posts