The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a big fan of funky colored boer goats but this is one that looks really good and dappled. To bad a lot more of them don't have this look

Copper Top

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Why do you dislike them? Because of their strange coloring or their build? He is definitely a nice buck!

But in my opinion, I don't think that dapples do anything to hinder conformation.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you dislike them? Because of their strange coloring or their build? He is definitely a nice buck!

But in my opinion, I don't think that dapples do anything to hinder conformation.
Because the vast majority are not very good quality, have poor conformation, and are not competive in major shows. However, this one is put together right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get where she I coming from. The spots themselves may not hinder it but I think people breed just for dapples and nothing else. A lot of them lack good width and muscle mass but I love him!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I like spots, but when they're chosen over conformation I don't like them. Spots don't fix weak pasterns or bad feet. They're an added bonus to a correct animal though :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I like spots, but when they're chosen over conformation I don't like them. Spots don't fix weak pasterns or bad feet. They're an added bonus to a correct animal though :)
Same as me. The more I delve into spots, the more horrid spotted animals I've seen. BUT I have seen a few that were quite handsome.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
That is very true, dapples can be misleading. I think there will be many more good quality ones in time, as they get more popular and people start to upgrade them.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
He looks nice but I definitely don't love him.... Here are some pics of some other bucks. Most of them are from MAX Boers but a few are from Lazy S-T, CGL Farms, And Davidston Livestock.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Those are some nice bucks. I am not sure but some judges like traditional and will pick them over the other ones. I do see color/blue eyed ND's bred for that and not confirmation to.
I think Dazzle would like the 2nd or the 4th buck the most.;) She is my favorite. Sometimes color/patterns makes it harder to see confirmation also. I grew up with show paints and Appaloosas. I have seen pattern win over confirmation and solid over pattern. Just bred confirmation and color/pattern is a bonus to me. I like my ND's you never know what color you are going to get but we are trying to bred for confirmation.
I am really starting to like some of these Boers. I would get to attached and wouldn't be able to eat them. That is what I tell myself. I'll make an exception for Dazzle. She could live with me.:D

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
I bet she would. :) That's Bon Joli Rhodapple. A very popular spotted buck. :)

I hear ya. I would LOVE our next buck to be spotted/dappled, but have gotten frustrated with our options. I am not about to compromise color for quality, but I just can’t find a quality buck of that color for a reasonable price that isn't on the other side of the nation. There was one breeder I was looking at who has the nicest dappled goats I've ever seen. I asked her how much her dappled bucks would start at and she said 5k is a minimum…..

I’m not about to ruin the conformation in our herd just to get spotted kids, and it is hard for me to understand when I see other breeders doing just that! It is rare to actually see quality dapples, but they are definitely getting more common.

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
Ahhh Rhodapple....Sure wish he was still alive I would love to have some of his offspring.

He is such a nice buck..they are not too far from me. ..I have been trying to talk my husband into going to their farm to see all their goats...and if we should find 1 or 2 or 10 to bring home then so be it! ;)

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
Check out this stud! good lord sure wish they were closer to me! I would breed some of my does to this one!

LAZY S-T COPPERTOX

Attachments

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
One of his Paint sons is available for sale by me.
Oh really got any pics? I am sure I could find a spot for another buck over here!

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
I think it was on fb in the color boer goats for sale group. I will look for the post and let you know.
Okay...but what is your name in fb? So I can find it..lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts