Dark blood vs light blood

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jessica84, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    So anyone know why one does blood would be really really dark and the other lighter color. Not sure which would be considered normal but one is much darker. Anyone know why? IMG_2179.jpg
    Hopefully you can see the difference here

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They were done about the same time and same type of tube?

3. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Just enough time to make a pass with the clippers and pull in the first try. Same tubes and we noticed right away the second was darker. Both act totally fine just curious why.
    The first one was playing when I grabbed her up (lighter color) the second was laying there chewing her cud. Maybe that had something to do with it ????

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Who knows. Maybe blood comes in different shades. Interesting.

5. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I thought it was too! Maybe there’s a link between prego and not lol that would be pretty cool but am joking :p

ksalvagno likes this.
  6. Kath G.

Kath G. Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Betcha a hematocrit would give you different values on those samples. If you do a FAMACHA score on those two does, do they have different values? Just curious...

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I think that the darker the blood the more oxygen is in it.

Lstein likes this.
  8. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    It does kind of look like the one on the right might be settled more, as @Goats Rock mentioned.

9. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    And that’s the one I took second. Let me go look at lids real fast.

toth boer goats and Kath G. like this.
  10. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Active Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    I know from first aid training that when someone gets cut, bright red blood is from an artery (freshly oxygenated in the lungs and on its way to deliver that oxygen) and dark blood is from veins (deoxygenated and on its way back to the heart). The color is dependent on the configuration of the hemoglobin, which depends on whether or not it is carrying oxygen.

I can't see the difference in color on my particular computer screen... I just see more froth in one compared to the other, which makes one look a little lighter at the top. Possibly this is the difference? Frothier from blood flowing faster from running around?

Otherwise, I'd guess lighter is either more oxygenated, making a brighter color, or, there are fewer red blood cells to darken the blood serum so the lighter one is anemic in comparison.

11. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok sorry crazy morning and I had to drop that blood off. Both lids are good I would say maybe the lighter color MIGHT be a hair lighter but not much.
    We saw the difference In the syringe too and it wasn’t frothy, it was kinda a after thought to take a picture of the blood in the tube and ask if anyone knew why, but that doesn’t mean that the first one I didn’t pull the blood faster and there’s more air in there even if it wasn’t frothy. I just thought it was interesting. I haven’t drawn a lot of blood but I did do 10 one day and they all looked the same so this was kinda a hmmmmm thing lol

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California