dark strings in doe's fences

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatskeeper, Aug 15, 2010.

1. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    hello,
    during the last two weeks i found some thing like a string in the doe's feces. is it a kind of some worm?

2. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Best way to finf uout id take it and a stool smple to the vet.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    ^Was just going to suggest that.

What does is look like? Is the string a creamy, or whiteish color or ?? Definately sounds like a kind of worm..maybe tapeworm? Can you get a pic?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had that happen and it was because my doe was dehydrated. Is your doe sick and not drinking?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like... possible tapes...get a fecal done to make sure.... :hug:

6. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    how much of water does a normal doe drink (interval or estimation)? these days it is +40 degrees celsuis (+104 fahrenheit).

7. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    in the first moments when the doe throws the feces i see the strings with creamy color not very dark, and after some period of time it becomes dark, and often the string sticks with the area where the feces go out (i don't know the English word of this area :greengrin: ) and the string here is dark.

i will worm them, but what kind of wormers : is it liquid or injection?

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Liquid...we use Valbezen.... 1cc per 33lbs....down the throat.... :wink:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the active ingredient in valbazen is 11.36% Albendazole so if you cant find it under the brand name valbazen then look for it under the ingredient name.

I have also heard of using Safeguard for tapeworms safeguard's active ingredient is 10% Fenbendazole

as to how much she should be drinking -- I have never really measured it out. But for a good milk producing doe of good size probably near a gallon+ a day which would be nearly 4 Liters

10. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    thank you very much.

so i think my doe does not drink lot of water even i put a bucket of about 1 gallon and i change it 3 to 4 times a day.
    is my doe sick or something?

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm sure she drinks enough, but if you don't think she gets enough. On her neck pull up on her skin...it should snap back down...but if it stays up and/or goes down slowly then she may be a little dehydrated. If you're changing her water 3 to 4 times daily and her water isn't running dry then I'd suspect she's getting enough.