darn pink eye

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Aug 16, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so I have pink eye going through my herd, well only a couple have it, like 3 of them. I have one that has it VERY VERY bad. her eyes are completly white constantly draining and look like they are blood shot around the white. She cant see at all so I have her in a small pen with food and water. she is doing fine, she fights with the other doe in there and knows where the food and water is just fine, keeping her weight and is fiesty. I have been giving her la-200, in the eye and a shot of it. 3 doses over a couple of days, like 2 ccs in each eye and 3 ccs as a shot. it dosent look like it is getting better, just pure white eyes, very creepy looking. Is there anything else I can do? neosporin? Pen G? Teramycin eye ointment?? anything?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wait for the LA-200 to do it's job....maybe keep her eyes washed with saline and then after 2-3 days try the terramycin ointment, too much and different antibiotics at one time sometimes will cancel each other out. Sorry you are dealing with this and I hope they get better quick. :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    anybody in your family ever have pink eye? do you have the treament drops left over? If so that is what worked for me. I tried all the other treatments with no results - kept getting worse. In 2 days she was clear after giving the treatment drops.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh i'm sorry to hear that. Never had pink eye in our herd so I don't know how to help...just sending good thoughts your way. I sure hope you can get that cleared up soon, good luck! :thumbup:

5. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok anyone have any other ideas? She has been on la 200 for a while and it is not looking better, I am afraid her eyes are going to get an abcess or something.... the white is disapearing but now they are just turning red, she still is blind as a bat. No one else has pink eye, everyone is fine now, but hers just dont want to heal!! I have also given the la 200 like 5 days to get out of her system and have given her teramycin ointment in them. Nothing..... Please help

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Can you ask your human doctor to maybe call in a prescription for human pink eye drops. Just tell him that you have tried everything esle under the sun and gotten no results. Maybe he will feel sorry for the little gal and try to help her.

7. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    I think a vet would be a better chance for a prescription for a goat since most likely a human doc cant do something like that because they have laws they have to follow.

I know damage from bad cases of pink can be slow to heal and sometimes it can leave permanent damage.

We only had it once. Hit everyone with LA as soon as we saw the first sign. I didn't wait to see who would catch it. I just treated everyone with one shot.
    It knocked it right out of my herd. Never spread past the first goat except...
    shortly after, my daughter got it. :(
    Doc fixed her up with prescription eye drops, but she was miserable for several weeks.
    She was 8 at the time.

8. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    Actually that's what I did when my goats got pink eye last summer. It cleared up amazingly fast. (My dad's a doctor so it was easy). I don't know the exact medication that was used but i would HIGHLY recommend it. (Been there, done that!)

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I believe I've heard that Pen G squirted directly into the eye has worked well for some.