Daughters' show wether under the weather

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jcarr492, May 2, 2011.

1. jcarr492

jcarr492 Member

May 2, 2011
    Texas Gulf Coast
    My daughters show wethers for 4H at our county fair each year. They just picked up their show wethers yesterday from the breeder and we brought them home. They are 14weeks old. They were fine yesterday. The breeder gave me 1/2 bag of Ful O Pep feed since we were going to switch them to X-Clamation show feed and told us to do 50/50 to get them switched. We did 50/50 of feed yesterday evening, and this morning. My oldest daughters wether was fine yesterday. But today I noticed him just laying around...a LOT. The other wether is fine. He's energetic and happy. But the other one is laying around and I had to literally lift his head up and shake him to get him to perk up and stand up. He is drinking water and eating. But when he eats, he goes up to the feeder and actually rests his forehead inside the edge of the feeder and eats so slowly and very lazily. He's having bowel movements and urinating okay. No fever...did a rectal temp and it was 102.6 both times. We're in south texas and it got really chilly last night. I didn't watch the news, so didn't know it was going to be cold as hot as it was yesterday. So we didn't put up the tarps over the opening to the shed. They are shaved, so was thinking he got cold last night. He sounded a little hoarse today too when he cried. He just didn't want to walk or anything really unless I made him move. Sis in law came over and gave him a 3cc Nuflor injection just incase he's getting an infection. Any ideas??? Hate to see him not feeling well and it worries me. Daughter spent 200.00 on him for her 4H project and we've only had him one day and he's feeling sick. Not sure if the 50/50 feed transition was too much for him with moving to a new home or what. If he's not better tomorrow..we're taking him to the vet. Tonite they are laying on a thick layer of hay, and I put goat blankets on them since they are shaved and the wind is really gusting out there. The tarps are up to cover the shed opening and keep the wind down. Not sure what else to do for him tonite. Wish I had a crate to bring him inside thehouse. He's sleeping next to his brother, but he has the shakes. Guess he's got chills..but no fever. The goats we raised last year never went thru this.

2. jcarr492

jcarr492 Member

May 2, 2011
    Texas Gulf Coast
    sorry for the double posting. it kept giving me an error message when I submitted.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know -- Im working on the problem

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so he is with his brother -- usually transition issues stem from being moved from their moms and siblings. The feed shouldnt be the culprit. Weather certainly can play a part.

Do you have any nutri drench? the vitamines are always good to give when a goat isnt feeling so good.

as long as he is still eating some and drinking - hopefully the antibiotic will kick in and keep whatever he is getting from causing him to go down hill even further and to help him get better.

5. jcarr492

jcarr492 Member

May 2, 2011
    Texas Gulf Coast
    No nurtri drench..is that something I can buy, or mix up? I heard my sis in law saying something about drench, but didn't get into detail with her because she was dealing with just losing her own Doe who had given birth on Saturday. She was getting weaker and gave her an antibiotic shot, but she stopped drinking, eating and nursing her new babies. My brother rushed her to the vet yesterday, but while they were trying to get an IV in her, she passed away. So sad.

Checked on our wether thru the night and he slept with his brother. I really don't know if its his brother, but they were together at the barn at the breeders house. The breeder mentioned it could be transitional. We'll see how he is doing today as the day progresses.

6. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    If the goat doesn't improve quickly, I would question a coccidiosis bloom, ask the owner when they were treated last, and if he has a few doses of meds he can sell to you.

The antibiotic is a good idea. I wouldn't let him get too run down, will be a lot harder to get the finish back on him.

7. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    I would think it could be pneumonia since you had the drastic weather change and also from hauling stress. We have always given 2cc of Nuflor and 1cc per 50# of Dexamethasone(RX item). Since you said he was a little hoarse when he cried that makes me think it could be respiratory, and just because he isn't running a fever doesn't mean he doesn't have or isn't getting pnemonia.

Another drug that i like really well for respiratory issues is Draxxin, it is expensive and I only use in severe cases or of the other antibiotic isn't working. It is also a RX item.

Karla

8. jcarr492

jcarr492 Member

May 2, 2011
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Well, upon waking up this morning, he was still laying down sleeping in the shed. But by 8am, he's been out and about walking around and actually eating better. Gave them some Chaffhaye and their feed, a dose of Probios. Will give another Nuflor shot tomorrow. But he looks 80% better than he did yesterday! Just seeing him walking around and not so weak feeling is a huge plus.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Glad he is looking better. Keep up the antibiotics for the full duration (usually 5 days not sure what it is for nuflor).

Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery