Dawn 10/17/07-5/2/08

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Sweet Gum Minis, May 2, 2008.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I don't normally post my loss stories on here but this one I will. I had just got Dawn last weekend. We picked her up with her dam Julie and her brother Lil'Wayne. I had her stalled today trying to dry her dam off who's still got some of an udder. That and to see how she would settle down being one-on-one since she's so wild with her dam. I stalled her in the first stall and had let her dam out today. Well while I was out front waiting on my daughter to get home from school I noticed her in her stall standing upward. I thought it was odd she wasn't moving so I moved around some to get a better view. After a minute of her not moving I decided to go down and check on her. As I got closer the reality of the situation set-in. I got in her stall and she was dead. She had hung herself by her collar. She had been trying to get out most likely and got her collar hung on the top of a cattle panel. I have the tv on but the camera is on Anna and her new twin boys. I'm surprised I didn't hear anything. I knew better than to put her in that stall. She's antsy enough that I shouldn't have put her in a stall where she could climb around any. She was a big doeling and I had hoped to breed her in another month. I feel so guilty, I had that feeling this morning but I didn't listen to it. Hubby doesn't understand how I could have that feeling. I was hoping to clip her this afternoon too. Its been so rough lately, so many problems left and right. I've been really close to selling out numerous times. I'm trying to hold on till the good times roll back in. I really hope things turn around soon. I need something really uplifting. :tears: Thanks for letting me get this out.
  2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh Ashley! How horrible that must have been for you, I always worry about collars getting stuck on things but have been lucky enough to not have lost one, I do have Quincy who has saved several goats from that fate, he goes crazy so I know that something is wrong. Things will get better, hang in there.

I am truly very sorry.

I am ordering a whle bunch of those break away collars, I like them better any ways and they are pretty safe, plus I usually leave them large enough so they can slip out of them.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Oh gosh I am so sorry! :tears: :hug:

I can only imagine how horrible you must feel right now. I will pray that things start to look up for you. :pray:
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ashley I am sorry for your loss, as you said though this doeling was a wild one...no matter where you had put her she still would have tried to "get away", I do hope her dam and brother settle in with you and hopefully she'll give you another doeling next year that can be coddled and tamed. :hug:
  5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I am so sorry for your loss. It is always heart breaking when we loose a goatie no matter if we had them for 1 minute or 10 years. :hug:

I to have collars on all of my goats, even with little tags that have the ranch name, address, and phone numbers incase. I have been scared of the same thing and have them on so loose that they can slip their head out very easily just in case.

Do NOT beat your self up. It was going to happen regardless if she was in the stall or outside or even without a collar on - there is a plan for every animals, and sometimes that plan really sucks.

Take care hun!

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am sorry for your loss Ashley. I know sometimes it seems that everything happens at once and that can get you down. Cuddle some of those cute babies you have right now, it always makes me feel better. :hug:
  7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it. We are actually getting two guardian puppies from Tina (Laurel Haven) soon and I look forward to their warnings if there's a problem or a predator. I am glad her dam was not aware of what happened or I'm sure she would have been upset. She didn't know so she's not upset or anything. Even frolicked down the hill at feed time. I must admit I'm glad it wasn't one of my goats who's been here a long time. I would have really been so much more upset. I still hate it though. She had tons of potential.

Thanks again everyone. I will continue to use collars, because we have a safe pasture and barn. Its just that one stall with the panel where the main door opens. I'll be changing it now. Plenty uses that stall at night, but the main door is closed and she's not antsy like Dawn was either.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I so sorry- what a horrible experience. I hope your new puppies bring you joy.
  9. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sorry to hear of your loss :hug: I can relate to you lose, I to lost a doe this am :cry:
    I have to use collars myself, it easier to catch them if they should get past the fencing.

:hug: Michelle
    Sawdust Farm
    New Hampshire
  10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm so sorry for your loss :( I've had goats get caught on their collars, but fortunately I haven't had any hang themselves.
    :hug: it'll be alright