day 145 - doe smells bucky-KIDDED! day 146

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by chiara, Jun 17, 2010.

1. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    So my minimancha is on day 145, she is acting more and more skittish, and I keep getting whiffs of bucky smell from her. Udder is not super stretched, no discharge except a tiny amount of white 2 days ago. ligs almost gone, as far as I can feel (i'm a first timer, and so is she!). my question is, should I put her in the kidding stall now? or wait until something more obvious happens? I only have 2 does, so it means separating them, but she's been pretty aggressive with my other doe for a few days now, doesn't want her anywhere near her. also, does the bucky smell mean it's all boys in there? Thanks in advance for all opinions ... I'll try to get photos after I get my human kids to school!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: day 145 - doe smells bucky and is acting like a teenage

The bucky smell....may be bucklings in there....but... they can surprise us with a buckling and doeling too....you won't know til she pops. :wink:

If you feel... she needs to be seperated... then it wouldn't hurt..... :hug:

3. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or

waiting is sooooo frustrating! she keeps alternately trying to climb into my lap and shying away if i even slightly touch her belly. here's some photos from this morning ... any of you more experienced than me folks have a time or number of kids estimate?

Attached Files:

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

nice udder going on there...I'd say... possible twins... :wink: :thumb:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I'd say twins too....and in another 4-5 days, her udder needs to fill more, but that could happen the day she decides to deliver. The hormones are making her be "bucky" and the odor you smell could mean there are bucklings on the way

6. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or

thanks for the insight. she seems less crazy today, laying around a lot more. pooping a lot, haven't really seen her pee. still eating like there's no tomorrow. guess there's nothing to do but wait, however hard that may be to do!

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

It's called.... the pull out your hair club.. :hair: .....just waiting ...LOL :hug:

8. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    Re: day 145 - doe smells bucky - KIDDED day 146!!

well, she kidded yesterday evening while i was at my kids' graduation! completely unassisted, triplets, two doelings and a buckling! everyone happy and toddling around. amazing. one question for all of you: all 3 kids only seem to be nursing from one side, i milked the other teat a little and tried to get them interested, but they don't seem to care. any tips?

it won't let me upload pictures right now, says the board attachment quota has been reached, i'll try again later. they're adorable!

9. Yea, I had two does do that and they gave me both a boy and a girl. Good luck!

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Awwww Congrats on the new kids! Nice surprise to come home to after the graduation!

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats on the new babies.... :thumb: :love:

Keep working with 1 kid... on the other teat....open it's mouth and squirt a little bit in the mouth.... tickle the kid.. just above the tail head area along the back...and hold the teat up a bit.. not to pinch off the milk supply.. be gentle... direct it.. in the face of the kid...direct the kid in that direction....a little light push... towards the teat....to stimulate the baby....and tickle at the same time.... keep trying... if they already know how to suckle... then it shouldn't take to long...good luck.... :thumb:

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    pam's got it. :) congrats on the new kids!

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Oh! Congratulations! Sounds like she snuck up on you, but it turned out well. Can't wait for pictures, and glad everyone is happy and healthy. :stars:

14. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    thanks!! wish i could figure out why i can't post pictures ...