Day 148 in the Life of Barrel

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by lesserweevil, May 13, 2008.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    well I think it's day 148 - I cant find the stud cert, which I will look for tomorrow, but I'm fairly sure no wait. day 147. my bad.

ANYWAY. her ligs are still there - softer than before but still there. Her udder has grown since 2 days ago - and she's even more barrel-like, if that's possible! I think there are 2 kids in there... I hope

I just walked her down from the barn and put her in the shed beside my room. That way I can just slip down the stairs to check on her. Wont be starting night shifts until the ligs go more though.

ooooh excitement.
    I stopped in at the vet's on the way home to pick up some cryptosporidiosis meds - prevention being better than cure, IMHO!
    Kids will get 1ml every day for 7 days.

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, what is cryptosporidiosis? It's hard to believe there are only two kids in there. What are you hoping for?

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I hope she goes soon for you!! I know she likes to pick on you :wink:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats great! can't wait to see what she has.

Di I will let LW describe it - more common in Europe/GB then in the states

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Cryptosporidiosis arrived in my life on Friday 10 April 2007. It has been a constant worry ever since.

Friday was a nice day... 3 cute little white fluffy babies playing outside on the lawn all day as they had been doing for the previous couple of weeks. (All in a hopeless muddle tied to a stake - due to the close proximity of the rhododendrum)

When I brought them in that evening, Rhythm, the boy baby, had greenish watery scour. I dosed him with e-coli meds and asked questions about it online. I also phoned the vet about cocci meds, but the vet was unconvinced. Rhythm refused to eat and began to become lethargic and cry out in pain. I took him to the vet who gave me electrolytes for him and was still unconvinced that it was cocci.

I stomach tubed Rhythm at 3 hour intervals through the night, and at 4a.m. came to find him lying dead in his box, all twisted up covered with watery green scour. (pea soup colour)

It was really tough, but I continued on with my remaining 2 babies. Then Tuesday I found that Melody, the first born baby, had the same scour as Rhythm. She was as bouncy as ever, although spraying scour everywhere. I instantly started giving her electrolytes and antibiotics (which Rhythm had had too) but by the morning she was lying almost comatose, screaming with agony. By that time the last remaining kid, Harmony, was beginning to scour. I put a blanket in the back of the car, placed Melody on it with Harmony on my lap and sat with them while Mum drove us to the vet. Melody died half way there.

The vet took samples when we arrived and ruled out pulpy-kidney which he was wondering about. I INSISTED that he gave me cocci meds for little Harmony, and he recommended that I drove Melody's body to the lab to have it tested. I did so, paranoid of losing my last remaining baby.

I treated Harmony with the cocci meds over the next day waiting for Melody's test results to come back. The next day, the vet came to put their mother down, and he had the lab results with him. Cryptosporidiosis. He gave me meds for Harmony, and she survived. (she is stunted a bit but she's ALIVE)

Cryptosporidiosis is a very hardy parasite which is found in water/contaminated surfaces, etc. and is impossible to eradicate. You cannot kill it by boiling water - the water has to be boiled for several minutes before you can be sure that the crypto is gone.

For the next 3 months I boiled and boiled every scrap of water to feed Harmony with.

Since then I have been paranoid of this bug, and seeing that I had a lamb die from that, and another one survive it, this year, I have plenty of the medication on-hand for the Whissy babies this year.

Last spring was the worst spring of my life.

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    taking my mind OFF the crypto, as it upsets me when I think about it, here are some more pictures of Whissy, now officially Day 148

[​IMG]

top down:

[​IMG]

after her haircut:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    My kiko's udder looks like Whissy's udder. I need a dairy goat!!!!!

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    probiotics, penicillin, crypto meds, iodine, antibiotic spray, scissors, towels, collars, tums, flaxseed oil, molasses, world peace...

hmm I think I have everything bar my heat lamp, which I cant find anyway . . .

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I remember what you went through, heartbreaking......but now you know AND are prepared AND you have new babies coming very soon! Her udder is looking great!

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh that's just horrible! What you went through, and I'm surprised your vet was so...unhelpful!
    I'm confused why you had to put the doe down?

When I had the stillborn kid it was sad but I didn't dwell on it because it wasn't something I could do anything about. But, to have kids die right in front of you, that (up till then) were fine has to be just heartbreaking. I'm tearful just thinking about what you went through.

Thank you for explaining it to me. Next time I ask a sensitive question, somebody pm me so I don't bring up bad memories. I'm so sorry for your loss.

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    the doe died of unrelated causes - preg toxaemia then mastitis then anaemia, hypocalcaemia etc. finishing with all her organs shutting down.

The vet just didnt know that it was crypto, is all. He's usually pretty good.