The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second freshener kidded tuesday morning. Today she will not let her twins suck. Kicks them when they try. This morning I milked her out a bit to relieve the pressure but she still did not let them suck. I put her on the milk stand and let each one suck as long as he wanted while I wrestled her to let them. It is time they should probably eat again and she still does not want them to suck. I really don't want bottle babies but also do not want to wrestle her several times a day to let them nurse. I need some advice please

·
Super Moderator
58,860 Posts
Have you checked her udder and teats to make sure all is ok? Did you check for congestion or mastitis in her udder?

If all is good, she is just probably in pain and may need a shot of Banamine.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she stood really well this morning when I milked her out some. I did not feel any heat, lumps or anything else strange.
Additionally I do not know if she raised her kids her first freshening or not- we bought her 3 months fresh. 1 cc banamine? She is my biggest doe- probably 130 pounds. do I need to worry about milk with holdning longer than 11 more days?

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
does she mother them other wise? calls to them, cleans them..lays with them ect...?

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
If there is nothing physical keeping her from nursing, and we have worked trying to get mom to nurse with no results, we would bottle feed..If mom is gentle with them we would leave the kids with her and feed them bottles...in some cases, we have come out after several days to find full tummies...where mom decided nursing them wasnt so bad lol....

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Sounds like a typical bad mama to me. Thus why the previous owners sold her maybe? Only two choices here really. Milk and bottle feed or hold her and force her to feed them. Typically in about a weeks time she will get the hang of it but every once in a while a doe just simply will not take her kids ever. So I would do the force thing for a week and if nothing by the end of that, get ready to start bottle feeding em or sell em.

·
Super Moderator
58,860 Posts
Banamine is dosed at 1cc per 100 lbs. I would try the Banamine first and see if that helps. Goats are no different than any other species and do have different pain tolerances. If she still is that way after Banamine, then maybe consider her a bad mom. But it can take up to an hour for the Banamine to ease the pain.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just dealt with this too, I forced mine to feed, and if she tried to lay down then I picked her up by her horns and held her, otherwise she was against the barn wall while her twins nursed, day two was spent outside her tied to a tree with me in a chair next to her....if the kids wanted to nurse I held her so she wouldn't butt or kick them. I had a metal crate inside her pen and I would put the kids in it at night so I didn't have to worry about her hurting them....on day 4 I was able to let her loose with her kids, she is a good Mom now! I won that battle !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts