@day old baby, eye?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Feb 7, 2009.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I have a 2 day old little girl who I just noticed has like a blue, cloudy haze over half her one eye. It could have been there earlier and I didn't notice it. Is this normal for a baby, or should I be concerned? They were so cute this am, they found thier legs and were trying to hop and run- too cute. Oh she seems fine. I tried to see if she would blink if I took my hand real close but I don't think she has those reflexes yet as it didn't work on either eye, but I know she can see

2. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    I would probably have the vet check her out just to be on the safe side.

3. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
  4. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Re: 2 day old baby, eye?

Nope its definatly not entropian, looked for that right away. Plus its on the top of the eye. Almost looks like she has a cloudy half contact in. I remember when the foal was born last year it said eyes could be cloudy for the first few days, but it would clear up. Just wondering if goats were the same? Its not watering or anything. And today with the nice weather I let them out with mom for awhile and shes a bold little thing. Walked right up to some of the others ( I was right there)

5. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Umm well if it not bothering her or having any symptoms I would just keep a close eye on it. Have you shined a light to see if all the eye glows? Sorry I don't have any other ideas. Shelly

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm interesting. Maybe she is half blind :shrug: it obviously isnt inhibiting her at all so thats good :)

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    Just to be on the safe side, in case she's developing an infection, I'd treat the eye with Terramycin twice daily.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would take wet tea bags and hold them to both of her eyes for 15 minutes three times a day. Keep doing that for at least a week or longer if you can and after every treatment put like Neoeporin in both of the eyes. I have had to do this with three babies and they all turned out just fine.

9. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Re: 2 day old baby, eye?

Thanks everyone, I did start her on the eye ointment today. I can't tell if she can see out of it or not, don't really get any reaction on either eye, but I do know she can see. It does seem to be a little light sensitve but its not watery or crusty. So will do the eye ointment and Lori I will try the tea bags. Should I do both eyes if its only the one thats cloudy, guess it can't hurt. Other then that they are both doing really well.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    When I do it I do both eyes. Just in case whatever gets to the other eye. I tell you when I first heard about the tea bags, I thought that person was crazy, but NOPE it works great. Keep the bags wet as you hold them on the eyes. New bags every time and do not switch the bags and eyes.

11. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    How's the baby's eye??
    We had a kid born today, her eye looked funny, the eye lid was tucked in , so I pulled it to normal, and the top half of the eye is clowded over.
    So I will start her on tea bags is it just lipton tea??
    And ofcorse eye meds too..

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    yep just the Lipton tea bags. DO NOT use the decaf ones, or the flavored ones, just good ole tea.

13. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Well she is a week old today and there is no change with her eye. I did the terrymican twice a day and also the tea bags. I still can't tell if she can see out of it. I have tried reflex testing ( taking my hand close to see if she blinks) and when she is standing wiggling my finger on different sides to see her reaction. And I swear if I have done it 50 times I have 50 different results. UGH. Shes very active, climbing and jumping just like her brother, although shes a little smaller and can't get as high as he can. So I know she can see. And it doesn't seem like she is turning her head to use the other eye. If she is though she will just stay here and live out her life.