day old baby not taking bottle!!!!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by bree00, Jul 14, 2010.

1. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    what do i do her mother didn't except her.... and i milked the mother and put the colostrum in a baby bottle but shes not really taking well..

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is the momma a First timer? If so.. Tie her head up snug ....and tie up her back leg..the one you will be working off of and put the baby on her teat......if she is tight at all... in the udder... milk out a little and put it in a syringe without the needle..feed it to the baby.....if she is tight and sore it is more likely she will not allow the kid to nurse......teach her to be momma... go out every couple of hours and keep trying......Tie up momma until ....she knows that... it is what she is suppose to do.... feed her a little grain for a reward... Alternate each side of teats each time you go out..so both sides are milked.... Also if the kid will not take the bottle this is another way to make sure the kid gets fed... Good luck...

3. KifSpots

KifSpots New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Jacksonville, Oregon
    To get our new baby Zapp to take the bottle, we held him firmly from behind (babies try to back up to get something out of their mouths...but put a towel on the kids' bottom so you don't get smeared with manure). Put the nipple in the baby's mouth [use the hand that's holding the bottle to also cradle your baby's chin]. Keep the nipple from sliding out of the sides of its mouth by holding your fingers against either side, just not tight enough to force the jaw open even more. Keep it in there for a few seconds, and (if the hole is big enough so that milk is getting into the kids' mouth), the kid should begin swallowing, and finally, suckling. Use your discretion regarding whether your kid has had enough to eat. Zapp needed to be held the first 24 hours to be fed, but now he knows what the bottle is and nurses readily.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Pam gave great advice. Thats what I do if needed, just a syringe.
    I dont bottle feed unless I have orphans. Its the dams job to feed kids not mine & sometimes it does take some work on FFs. Be firm with her!
    It may take a few days but dont give up. :wink: I wouldnt use a bottle quite yet cause you want those kids on their mom.

5. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    Thank you for all the help.... she made it through the night. We held the momma and she was able to feed a little. The baby is has difficulty finding the nipple. She is one of twins. The momma is not a first timer. this is her second freshening. The first time was similar to this but we didn't catch the neglected one in time. She raised the other one completely.
    I am thinking about putting this one in the pen with the momma in a large dog crate. Maybe they(momma and other kid) can bond a little with her.

6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I have a suggestion I learned when I had nearly the exact same problem as you earlier this spring. If the rejected kid is one of twins, isolate the babies and the momma together but before you put momma in there, find the afterbirth and rub it on the rejected kid: on her head , dorsal and hind end, then put a halter on the momma and rig a 'blindfold' over her eyes and secured to each side of the halter. Put her in with the kids. Keep momma blindfolded like this until both kids are nursing equally that way she can't tell which kid is her 'favored one' and which one she rejected. I got that tip from a local sheep breeder who says it has worked every time in her over 30 years of experience.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are very welcome... :thumb: keep trying and keep working with the baby to learn to find the teat....it won't take to long... to catch on.... Hope mom will bond with the kid..... Wish you the best of luck... :pray: :hug:

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Sometimes it takes them a couple days to really latch on. I had a couple this yr that were ADD...the first few days would take one or two quick sucks & wander off to play. It drove me crazy.

9. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    lol another ADD baby! My little runt girl takes a few sucks then "Ohh butterfly!" and she's off bouncing....

10. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    thanks everyone shes doing fine now....we have been putting the motherin the milking stand and let the baby suck her.