day old goat not doing well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dragonfly farms, May 31, 2010.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Coco's little girl is not doing well. I am not sure what is wrong or what else I can do to help her.
    Started yesterday, she is gazes off into space, seems kind of sluggish all the time. No where near the active level of her brother. She drank from mom first off and yesterday. I have not seen her drink from mom yet today. I have given her milk to supplement. This am her mouth was pale, cold and dry. since she has gotten some milk it is a little pinker. She is doing tons of BM started off black, then tan and now yellow. I also gave her some of the gel colostrum just in case.

Any ideas?

I posted this on her kidding page, but figured it would get seen better here.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hm,
    Whats her temp? if she's warm enough I'd syringe or tube milk into her slowly.
    also, I'd give bo-se and a little nutridrench

I hope she pulls through :hug:

3. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I gave her nutri-drench yesterday and this morning.

4. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I dont have any bo-se, and my thermometer is missing (big surprise, when you need something its gone!)

I just gave her some more milk, she did pretty good, you could feel her little belly, as opposed to being hollow. When i was done with her she tinkled and went looking for more milk from mom! (I hope that we only need to feed her today! and then she will be on the right track!)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like ...she is doing better now.....I would of liked to of known a temp on her...if it was below 100 degrees....feeding the baby ...would do more harm than good.....but... if she is doing well....after her feeding... her temp may of been OK....keep an eye on her.. for a while and make sure ...she is eating......and latches onto moms teat... it will help her... to become stronger... :wink:

with baby poo it is normal....the black is the plug..... all very normal.... :hug:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh..duh!
    meconium, the black poo is the baby's first poo...black and sticky... :doh: thanks... ;)

7. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Seems to be doing great this evening! Mouth is pink and warm! She was more active. I still fed her a little, but when i placed her down she latched onto mom twice!

I found out later this afternoon from hubby that she had escaped from her stall sometime last night and was away from mom. I am thinking that is the reason for her poor condition this am. I am very glad that she has improved so much. I will probably feed her in the am, but we will see. I dont want to over feed her.

8. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    ding super this morning. She was so squirmy I could not get the bottle in her mouth for more then a second! Finally when it happened she drank for a while. Once her feet hit the floor she was after mom! When I got into the stall she was most active she has ever been. Her mouth was pink, warm and wet! I think she will be alright. I think her first night without mom was not helpful!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh:

Yep... your baby sounds as if ...she is doing well.... :wink: .... it also sounds to me... that she doesn't need the bottle....one way to know for sure is.....feel her tummy ....if it is full....not empty or squashy...then she is OK..... still keep an eye on her...feel her tummy periodically......and find the escape route ..... block it off .......so she won't be in jeopardy again.... :hug: ..

I am So happy........ she is doing great........ :thumb: :leap: