Day old kid down

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dutch, Jan 6, 2008.

1. dutch

dutch New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Hillsdale, Mi
    Yesterday one of the triplets born on Fri. was listless and cold when we went out in the morning. I brought her in and got her on a heating pad, and kept rubbing her to keep her stimulated, she seemed barely alive. I gave her some Fastrack jump-start, then some coffee/molasses mixture, and tried to get some milk in her from a syringe. She sound "rattily" so we gave her a small dose of pennicillin.
    After 6 hours she was standing and drinking about 2 1/2 ounces from a bottle. It was like a miracle. We are so happy.
    Now to my question. She sounds phlemy after she drinks, but just in her throat. Should we continue a 5 day regimine with pennicillin, or just let it go?

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    When you start antibiotics finish the treatment. Sometimes babies sound phley in the throat. If you do not have one get you a stethoscope it is so helpful and you can tell if the sound is in the lungs or not. They are cheap and well worth it. Keep a check on the babies temp for a few days to make sure all is well. Good job saving that baby.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Yes- it was good to catch her like that- I hope she thrives for you.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    be sure to take her off the fastrack while giving antibiotics.

Fastrack is designed to attack anything foreign to the body including antibiotics.

So you are not giving her the benefits (or the full benefits) of either product because they are canceling each other out in a way.

I am glad to hear she is responding to the treatment.

I would continue the pen for 5 days (though I have heard 3 days is enough I tend to stick with the 5 days).

5. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Did she get enough colostrum? Is her temp normal now?

6. dutch

dutch New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Hillsdale, Mi
    I only gave the Fastrack once yesterday morning.
    She is doing fantastically. We took her out to the barn this afternoon and she got a nice drink from her Mom and settled in for a nap with her siblings.
    She did get colostrum, she nursed real well her first day, so I was very shocked to see her so sick yesterday.
    We named her Drowsy, because that's how she was yesterday.
    Thanks for the advice and concern.

7. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    So glad she's doing well. Please keep us posted! :)

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    :hi5: :stars: :clap: Way to go on all the quick thinking. I am so happy to hear that Drowsy is doing great. Keep it up and YES we want pictures.

9. dutch

dutch New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Hillsdale, Mi
    [​IMG]
    Here's her picture, she's doing great. Jumping eating and playing with her brother and sister.
    Thanks again for the interest.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    What a doll. Again Congratulations

11. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    What a little cutie! She's precious!!!

12. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't give a day old kid antibiotics. I totally agree with everything else, but be careful in that you let a kid's immune system kick in and not hinder it with medications.