Day old Kids...watery yellow diarrhea

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sunshinegoat, Mar 3, 2013.

1. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Good morning :)
    I have 2 kids that are about 18 hours old.
    This morning I went to check on them and noticed their behinds are messy. They have sticky yellow diarrhea. Their temps are 103.3 and 103.5..they are up and nursing and seem fine other than the scours..
    Could this be milk overload or something worse? I cant get a sample to run right now as it was all stuck to them..I am running a stool sample on the mom right now. Is coccidia a possibility this early? If I can't get a sample should I treat for it? I like to know what I am treating for before I start throwing things at them...there is no blood in the stool.
    Things I have on hand:
    Electrolytes
    Neomycin
    Corrid
    PenG
    Nutri-Drench
    LA-200
    B Complex

I am worried about dehydration. My husband checked on them around midnight or later and said they were fine so they haven't been scouring for long
    What is the best course of action?

2. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Okay...so I read the fecal slide on the mom...no cocci but she does have somewhat of a worm load...not OMG but more than usual..
    I have been worming everyone and they are due for one more dose of Ivomec in 7 days. I wasn't sure when this one was due so she is on everyone else's worm schedule. Am I able to dose her now or should I wait...she has clumpy poop..

The babies still seem to be okay other than the runs...

3. ogfabby

ogfabby New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    The runny, sticky yellow poo is normal in 1-3 day old kids. Just make sure it doesn't clog up their little behinds, keep it cleaned off, and give it a couple of days.

Dose the doe. I would dose her with a white wormer like valbazan.

4. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I have safeguard on hand...She was dosed w/ ivomec 2 days ago...should I dose her w/ safeguard and then w/ ivomec as schedualed? Can I give the kids nutri-drench? I had a buckling we bought at a day old scour like this and he was really sick..it smells the same so I am a little worried. The poop isn't excactly sticky...when I was taking their temp it was oozing out..quite thin but not quite water :( I did a fecal smear on them and couldn't see anything.

5. ogfabby

ogfabby New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    I would go ahead and dose mom with ivomec and as long as babies are nursing, leave them alone. If you start throwing things at them, it could make it worse.

6. ogfabby

ogfabby New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    I am really betting that it is completely normal baby goat poop though. Bottle babies are different. Especially with the stress of moving them. As long as babies are nursing and acting fine, I would really give them a little bit.

7. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I gave them each 2cc of Nutri Drench...It can't hurt I'm figuring..the babies are up and nursing..All our other moms are probably better at cleaning up their kids...these ones are messy! I think it is borderline not normal stools but at least I don't see anything on the slides. I cleaned them up and will see what they look like in a few hours. Thanks for the help :) Any more suggestions are welcome!

8. ogfabby

ogfabby New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    Just remember, with the nutridrench, it can cause strong smelling, runny poop.

9. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Okay. noted..thanks :) I just get nervous bc of what we dealt w/ treating that bottle baby (I'm getting flash backs!)
    Of all the kids born here we haven't ever had this...We had 7 others born in the last 6 weeks and they were all fine w/ no runny poops at all... I hope it's just milk overload or something..This girls udder is HUGE!
    Thanks again ;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    what you are describing is milk scours...moms milk might be pretty rich...I had a doe who could not feed her babies at all..we had to pull and bottle feed them...if after 24 hours they have not corrected themselves then treatment will be needed... here is a good article to understand whats going on..pics show normal poo and so forth..
    http://goat-link.com/content/view/46/75/#.UTNh1jCE17I

11. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Thank you Happybleats...This is EXACTLY what it looks like...If it is not cleared up by tomorrow what should I do? When you pulled your guys did you feed the mom's milk just in moderation? Is it a possibility they can't have their own mothers milk bc it is too rich? Sorry for all the questions we just have not dealt with this yet.

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    No problems on the questions..: ) with our Poppy, her milk was so rich it had a yellow tinge to it....we mix all our milk from all mamas...so it was ok for the boys...we tried letting mom have them back a few times as they got older but each time back to milk scours : ( Mom is such a great mom we felt bad taking them from her...but this year she had triplets and all three are doing great on her
    I would give them 2-3 cc Cd Antitoxin and off milk...give them electros until everything is back to normal...then try again with mom..if it happens again then I would bottle feed..if you have other goats in milk just mix it will moms to calm it down..if not the you can mix it with whole cows milk to bring down the richness...

On mom...ploppy poo can be caused by her worm load..or just from having the kids..but since you did a fecal and found her with worms I would treat her....I use Ivomac + sub Q or Valbazen oral..

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  13. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I don't have CD anti-toxin. I do have electrolytes though and probios...can I give them both? Are they too young for probiotics? I have one doe in milk but she is nursing her twins (they are 6 days old) so I haven't started milking her yet. Do I have to pull them or can I see if the probios helps? I had a doeling with scours (not from milk) and I gave her probios and after one day she was fine. (I continued for 5 days)

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    probios certainly wont hurt..a pea size should do it..once off milk they should clear up with out cd antitoxin..but if they dont then you might want to pick some up to help toxins from building in their tummy..electrolytes instead of milk until solid poo again..shouldnt take very long to see improvement : )

once they are back to normal you can try them again with mom along with the probios..see how they do..hopefully they can manage : )

15. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Okay..so I can't really separate them from mom...other than bringing them in the house..or I can tape her teats and milk her out 2x a day. I don't think my feed store has the anti toxin so I need to order it. One side of moms udder is HUGE.. I am going to milk her out, give the babies electrolytes and probios and wrap my head around what I am going to do.

I still need to go down and feed my big group before they start crashing the fences, lol..I'll be back.. Thank you!

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you could bring them in for the night...but if you cant...you could try to tape moms teats..her milk at 18 hours still has colostrum so maybe once you milk her out she may be less "rich" ( freeze her milk for emergency colostrum..I like to freeze in ice trays then baggie them up )..I know its hard to take the babies, even when we know its for their own good ..I order the cd antitoxin from Jeffers..they are pretty good price wise..your vet maybe able to sell you some in a pinch as well....hopefully they will handle moms milk soon : )

17. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Thanks for your help. One of them looks a little better. the other one is still scouring pretty bad. I milked out the mom and am going to find some tape. I'm having trouble getting them to take the bottle w/ electrolytes..we will keep at it. I think my next doe is in labor...my husband is on baby patrol so I can rest...I'll keep you updated.

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    sounds like a busy night...: ) hope everything turns out well...keep me posted on the boys..there is a certain kind of tape to use..not sure what its called..: ) not duct tape hehe

19. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Two more babies hit the ground :) The scouring babies seem to be doing better... I milked the mom out and taped her teats. They got the tape off but only a short while ago and I was able to retape. We have been giving them electrolytes and my husband shaved their butts which is making things easier. I wasn't able to spend too much time with them this am due to my other doe kidding. I just got home and my husband is resting (he was on baby patrol until 4 am) so i haven't asked how they were while i was gone. From what I can see they are much better. I haven't been out there long enough to see them poop.
    I will go out after I catch my breath ;)

20. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    congrats!!! Kidding season is both exciting and exhausting lol..Make sure those babies get milk too...just not all of moms..dilute it with other milk...good job with them : )