The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day old lamancha mom didn't make it he nursed from her yesterday she had complications and passed this morning I haven't been able to get him to take bottle he isn't very active and is sunk in on both sides I don't know anything about mom or care she had before him the baby was given to a friend of mine because the women didn't want to bottle feed what should I do for him we can't get a hold of the women now to get any info either I have tried a few times

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
here is a trick to get him to take his bottle...Make sure his bottle is nice and warm and ready..put honey on the nipple...Lay him on your lap, back legs tucked, front legs out front..cup his chin with one hand now put honey on your finger..place it far back onhis tongue to stimulate the sucking reflex..do this a few time until he is sucking real well on your finger...now do thehoney finger once more..once he is sucking well..slip the bottle in..he will taste the honey first, then hoepfully will suck the milk right down..mighthave to do this a few times..butit has been succesfull for many stubborn bottle babies..

Make sure to use whole cows milk if Goats milk is not avaible as replacer can cause allergies or be hard to digest...

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Him being inactive is most likely from no food...feed him just until his tummy is firm, not tight...you want a flat look not bulging...here is a formula to figure out how much milk he needs

weigh him, multiply that by 16 to gethis weight in oz..now multiply that by 10% to see how much milk he needs in a 24 hour perod...divide that into 4-5 feedings a day...

Nutra drench and or B comlex will boost his energy and appitite...Best wishes

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx happybleats!! I have powder colstum replacer or do u think best to just use goat milk since he did nursed yesterday

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
I would just use goat milk. If you really can't get him to take the bottle, you may need to syringe milk in or tube him. You don't want him to get so weak that he can't drink a bottle.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I agree with karen....100%:D

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Yahoooo. I forgot to say to tickle the bum : ) glad he is taking the bottle now

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Im so sorry you lost your doe :(
You definitely have your hands full !
What a relief the little one is eating now , well done !
Prayers for a healthy strong baby boy :)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Nice job! I was just going to add 2 more things that help. Covering the eyes makes em think they are under their mom and make a sucking noise. They hear that and instinctively think a sibling is getting milk while they are missing out and it makes em suck.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job! I was just going to add 2 more things that help. Covering the eyes makes em think they are under their mom and make a sucking noise. They hear that and instinctively think a sibling is getting milk while they are missing out and it makes em suck.
Good ideas thx

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We had a hard time getting him to drink again this morning but he finally did he is more active today so hopefully the rest day be smooth sailing

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The little guy is eating very aggressively now so I think we are good he does have a little runny yellow poo but I think that is because he is getting more milk in his tummy so I am just going to keep eye on it

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
He is adorable , love the dark dorsal stripe , lol
He needs a special name , something tough because he is tough but so very adorable , lol. Are you keeping him ?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He is adorable , love the dark dorsal stripe , lol
He needs a special name , something tough because he is tough but so very adorable , lol. Are you keeping him ?
Yes I agree about his name I think I am going to keep him unless a real special place comes along for him which isn't likely

1 - 20 of 30 Posts