The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I had twin doelings born yesterday, less than 24 hours old yet. They have both nursed and seem ok with wagging tails. But this morning, both are covered in yellow sticky poop all down their bottoms and back legs. Mom didn't clean them so I've brought both in to get them cleaned up. Temp is 103.1. Is this meconium or should I be worried?
upload_2020-12-28_10-20-38.jpeg

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't know a lot about newborn kids, only went through it a few times, but I recall our newborn kid goats did the same and I attributed it to colostrum in the milk. Human newborns have similar kind of poop in the very beginning.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Does the poop smell bad? If I am not mistaken it could be their systems doing the clean out getting ready for normal. But I am sure the ecperts will know more. Congratulations.
Welcome to TGS. You will get allot of friendly help here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the poop smell bad? If I am not mistaken it could be their systems doing the clean out getting ready for normal. But I am sure the ecperts will know more. Congratulations.
Welcome to TGS. You will get allot of friendly help here.
Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know a lot about newborn kids, only went through it a few times, but I recall our newborn kid goats did the same and I attributed it to colostrum in the milk. Human newborns have similar kind of poop in the very beginning.
I sure hope it's normal. I remember that newborn meconium well when I had my own babies!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks y’all! Our doe’s twin sister had triplets on the 17th when we weren’t at home and they didn’t make it. They were a little early. My Nubians are first time moms and after losing our first babies, I’m super worried about these. Thanks again for the support!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Cuties, aren't they, them new borns. I've been watching animals be born for my whole life and I still can't get over how cute they are in the first week or two!
Keep it up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts