The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious if you experienced goat owners would say the majority of your kids are born during daylight hours. I have a very small sample but all born between 10am and 4pm.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mine are pretty random. But I'd have to say mine are actually more evening (after 5pm) and early morning. I have a few during the day, but I think my does like to annoy me and go when I'm not there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
For those of you that have does that mostly kid during the day, when do you feed grain?

I had a goat owner tell me she started feeding rain only at night instead of morning and night and they almost always kid during the day now. Wondering if anyone else has this experience? If it has truth to it I may change up my girls routines so I don’t have an all nighter outside lol

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
There was a article about cattle and feeding at night to make them have their baby during the day. The idea behind it was they could have their calf and it would be up and ready to go by feeding time.
Mine? I don’t feed grain. I feed Hay in the morning, so far I have had 18 kid, all have been done by 2pm, earliest was 7am except for one that started at about 4 and ended at 5. Another that I watched all day and probably let her go too long before we figured out she was in trouble at 6pm. She probably should have gone hours before. #19 is at the talking stage so will probably kid in the middle of the night.

·
8,161 Posts
Since I am a night person, I do most of my breeding at night, feeding etc usually at night, so, the majority of my kids have always been born at night.

Even when I had the construction job, I bred in the eve. So most of the kids were born late in the day.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I have only had 1 doe go at night, she was semi wild so that may have something to do with it, all the rest I have had over the years where in daylight, I feed in the afternoon/evening.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I have only had one go at night also. Most are done between morning feed and afternoon check. I'm sure it's because they don't want their dinner interrupted.

·
GreenTGoats
10,512 Posts
For those of you that have does that mostly kid during the day, when do you feed grain?

I had a goat owner tell me she started feeding rain only at night instead of morning and night and they almost always kid during the day now. Wondering if anyone else has this experience? If it has truth to it I may change up my girls routines so I don't have an all nighter outside lol
I feed grain in the morning.

·
8,161 Posts
Here is my decidedly unprofessional opinion! Most does follow the "Doe Code"! So, they will generally kid at the least convienent time for the goat care giver, aka owner.

Last couple of years, I had to race through milking due to a doe in labor. Milk a few, check on her, milk a few, etc. I think they just like to put excitement in your life! Or aggravation, depending on your point of view.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've only had one who had them at night, and at 6 in the morning at that. I've had a few that we've watched for hours and finally decided to reposition kids at night, but if we'd been more observant and repositioned the kids earlier, they wouldn't have had them at night.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I go back and forth on this subject based on the latest experiences. Generally, I think goats prefer kidding during the day. Generally, does don't kid on a full stomach. You can't count on either. A doe that is due that has been eating voraciously that starts her feed, but then can't finish it, might be about ready to bingo. Watch for the mucus string. I feed hay twice a day to the herd and feed to the late gestation does twice a day usually, with the biggest feeding at night.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
So far all of mine have had their kids in the daytime. One was about 5am, but all the others were in the afternoon or early evening. Of course, I DO have a small herd... Every year I've had from 1 to 4 does delivering.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Oh...and I give grain in the morning and the evening. However, they don't get much when they're not lactating.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Right now I have 5 Does, one kids mid day, one kids morning, The others I don't know because they have never kidded while I've owned them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts