The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still waiting:( Ginger is getting closer but not quite ready just yet. As you know, we bought her at auction. I was thinking about it yesterday and this is her second pregnancy back to back (she came to us possibly bred after just giving birth and the dates line up with how close she appears to be). Any advice on what kind of issues may occur with having back to back pregnancies? Thank you in advance. I just love how helpful everyone has been. This group is a lifesaver!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
They might lose weight on back to back kidding. It takes a lot out of them, and they really need at least a few months(at least 8 weeks) to recover. They use a lot of energy and nutrients carrying kids to term, and then feeding them/producing milk as well. Kids might be smaller than usual as she might not be able to give them 100% of the nutrients they needs. Not any hugely major issues or potential problems I can think of. So, they might be more prone to parasites than a usual doe after kidding. Smaller weaker kids. Lost weight. Which is definitely not good with winter months coming up. She will probably be OK but she definitely needs a little break after she kids.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much. I've been so worried about it. We definitely don't plan to breed again for a while lol. Thos wasn't planned
They might lose weight on back to back kidding. It takes a lot out of them, and they really need at least a few months(at least 8 weeks) to recover. They use a lot of energy and nutrients carrying kids to term, and then feeding them/producing milk as well. Kids might be smaller than usual as she might not be able to give them 100% of the nutrients they needs. Not any hugely major issues or potential problems I can think of. So, they might be more prone to parasites than a usual doe after kidding. Smaller weaker kids. Lost weight. Which is definitely not good with winter months coming up. She will probably be OK but she definitely needs a little break after she kids.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
If she were my doe I'd give her a full year off to get back into good condition. That's what I did with my doe Andromeda and I'm so glad I did.
Yes! Selenium is very important for Kidding and good strong kids. Get selenium vitamin e gel from tractor Supply or replemin plus gel from valley vet or Jeffers.
When the kids arrive they'll need their cords dipped in 7% iodine, a pea size drop of selenium vitamin e gel, and 0.5cc of vitamin b complex and a vitamin e capsule squirted in their mouth. It gives them a good start.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much!
If she were my doe I'd give her a full year off to get back into good condition. That's what I did with my doe Andromeda and I'm so glad I did.
Yes! Selenium is very important for Kidding and good strong kids. Get selenium vitamin e gel from tractor Supply or replemin plus gel from valley vet or Jeffers.
When the kids arrive they'll need their cords dipped in 7% iodine, a pea size drop of selenium vitamin e gel, and 0.5cc of vitamin b complex and a vitamin e capsule squirted in their mouth. It gives them a good start.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I also heard to use coconut oil for lube incase she needs help. What do you reccomend?
KY jelly or Glide or any other non spermicidal jelly that you can find at the drug store or farm supply.
Here's what we have on hand. Truthfully though don't rush to do internal checks because of the risk of introducing bacterias to the doe and kids.
I suggest watching as many goat births you can on you tube. I reccomend Blue Cactus Dairy Goats, Crystal has really good videos and is very clear in her instructions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts