DE - cause for the cough?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by maplebrooknigerian, Jan 23, 2021.

1. maplebrooknigerian

maplebrooknigerian New Member

Jan 23, 2021
    NE
    Hi all, I am hoping for some advice. I have been out of state for a couple weeks and had a friend/neighbor caring for my goats. They used DE LIBERALLY without my consent. Ugh. I got home last week and I noticed two of my does and a wether had a bad cough so I did a thorough cleaning of my goats areas & cleared it of the DE. I wormed them as well as FAMACHA wasn’t great for the three in question. I’m waiting on fecals but was so worried about the cough I gave Ivomec to the three. My wether now has no cough and FAMACHA color is good, one doe is 80% improved in the cough & FAMACHA but one doe (pregnant) is still coughing pretty badly. It has only been a week since I cleaned their area and wormed them, my question is if anyone has been through something similar - how long did it take to resolve? Should I repeat worming (depending on fecal)? None of these goats have a temp or any other indication that they have pneumonia. The doe I’m worried about was a 4 on the FAMACHA today and was 101.7 temp.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

DE can definitely get into the lungs and cause problems.

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe an expectorant to help her cough up the crystals. The Robitussin that is only dextromethorphan works for goats.

4. maplebrooknigerian

maplebrooknigerian New Member

Jan 23, 2021
    NE
    Thanks good idea. I have that on hand. Worth a try.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.