The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have really dropped the ball on de-worming the kids. We've just gotten busy and I wasn't sure "what" to de-worm them with. Finally making a point to stop and ask and get it done this week! They are 15 & 18 weeks old. What do you start de-worming with? I have Ivermec injectable, if that will work, how much?

Cydectin is what the does have been getting. Which brings me to my next question, the does are due for de-worming. I purchased them from someone who used only Cydectin, can I "try" to use Ivermec on them, or something else, or do they have to stay with Cydectin now?

:thinking:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would only dewormed if their eyelids are pale. Ivermectin is fine. I dose at 1 cc per 22 lbs orally but some use 1 cc per 40 lbs as well.

If cydectin is what was used before, you may want to consider using a white wormer like valbazen.

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of the kids have pale eyelids. I just brought a fecal in to run so we'll see. My vet always "persecibes" Cydectin when the fecal comes back, even if they aren't real loaded. He suggests using that every other month which I do not want to do, obviously. Copper def. can also cause that (eyelids), correct? I cannot get a good loose mineral anywhere. I thought I'd finally gotten the right Sweetlix and brought it home, saw "sheep and goat" and of course there isn't much copper there. I have been using Purina but I'm not impressed. I have a copper supplement for the horses but I have no idea how much to give the goats. We've been trying to locate Right Now Onyx but haven't had any luck. I cannot find where to order it. I think I'll be ordering the Sweetlix meat maker - I've just been dragging my feet on the $25 shipping charge.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
lack of copper can cause them to not be able to fight off worms as easily but will not cause pale eyelids (anemia) which is caused by low iron. So yes its related but not its not a true indication of copper deficiency.

Does anyone around you carry Southern States feeds? Even if not in the goat feed section they likely carry the chicken feed or other animal feeds by Southern States. If they do ask for them to special order Top Choice Goat Mineral. Its really my favorite and whenever we have switched (even to the Onyx) the goats didnt do as well. It also has ammonium chloride in it which is awesome for wethers and bucks.

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it. Hmm. I looked into the Southern States feed, the closest looks to be four hours away. I am going to call a few more local co-ops and see what they carry, aside from ManaPro and Purina.

So as far as the does who were de-wormed with Cydectin at their previous homes, can I de-worm with something else or is that the only option now? Its so confusing to me that you do not rotated de-wormers with goats. Coming from the horse background, we rotate between four different de-wormers. Just wondering if I can "try" something else with these girls as to not get them resistant to Cydectin or of that is it now.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
You can try a different wormer...I prefer Valbazen or ivomec plus because they cover liver fluke as well...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay, now I'm confused! :scratch: I thought we were supposed to rotate chemical wormers to prevent resistance?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh I just used safeguard as my dewormer and the amounts are on the back. It is givin orally.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Actually Safeguard should be given at 1cc per 10 lbs for the liquid or 3 times the horse dose for paste for goats.

No, you shouldn't rotate wormers. You will just build up resistance to everything at the same time.

It really is best to deworm as needed and know what parasites you are dealing with. Then it is also critical to give the right goat dosage for each dewormer. If you underdose, then you will build a resistance much faster.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Okay, now I'm confused! I thought we were supposed to rotate chemical wormers to prevent resistance?
It is advised to use the same wormer until it no longer works. Also toonly worm as needed helps slow a resistance..Fecals are an important part of the worming process, to know who and when to worm...we choose two wormer heres...a white wormer (Valbazen)and injectable (Ivomec plus)

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Yes..it covers both..and its oral :p But do not use on pregnant does...I use it after my moms kid

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Okay, now I'm confused! :scratch: I thought we were supposed to rotate chemical wormers to prevent resistance?
No, they debunked that recently. They found not only does that not prevent resistance, now all the worms will be resistant to ALL the dewormers. :eek: That's one reason I went with a good herbal one (Fir Meadow) ... worms apparently can't grow resistant to herbs.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
No, they debunked that recently. They found not only does that not prevent resistance, now all the worms will be resistant to ALL the dewormers. :eek: That's one reason I went with a good herbal one (Fir Meadow) ... worms apparently can't grow resistant to herbs.
Really?? That's interesting!

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
How many times a year do you worm ?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I worm when needed. I have 4 does, and milking or not they all have to get up on the milk stanchion to eat their grain (if I'm in a huge hurry then they all don't have too) I take that opportunity to check eyelids and hooves... If eyelids are on the pail side, usually will worm everyone. I've wormed 2 times within the last year..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts