The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the usual pooch pics earlier this year and the consensus was all my does were pregnant. Everyone got the usual care regarding vaccines, etc and I had no reason to suspect they weren't all pregnant. However when Chara's due date came around and she showed no signs of imminent delivery, I started looking at her a little more closely and thought maybe she wasn't pregnant, or maybe she 'took' on the next month. (although i had seen her bred) Her due date was supposed to be August 19th. Her 'girl parts' looked closed and non-pregnant, esp compared to my other does who were pregnant. Everyone else delivered and I thought she was done for the year.

Last night i got home around 8:45 pm and heard alot of noise in the barn, went in and Chara was in labor. Within 5 minutes she delivered an extremely tiny kid and another dead kid. I waited around a bit, gave her some cal-mag-co, waited some more, she was having contractions, standing and biting at her sides, and since she's had quads before I thought maybe she might have another kid (hopefully alive) but she finally laid down and I gave up waiting at 1:30 am (it was COLD in the barn last night) She never delivered the afterbirth, I checked on her this morning, she was up and around, calling for her baby but I did not see any sign that she delivered the afterbirth. (even if she ate it, the straw would show some evidence)

I am going to keep checking on her today, start a course of LA-200, is there anything else I should do?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I'm sorry you are having trouble with your doe. Since I've never had this happen I will be watching for other's to comment. I do agree with your treatment plan. If she doesn't have any afterbirth visible, I assume she has passed it. I would watch her closely to make sure she doesn't have any retained kids, though. If she starts to look sick, get her to the vet ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I have heard of or seen too many dead retained kids this year. Different farms, different bloodlines. Some girls didn't act sick till the next day. I wouldn't chance it and I would go in.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I agree with Karen... Won't hurt any to go in a check... Play on the safe side... Any time im not sure, i go in and check...
Hopefully she doesn't have any retained kids in there...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It won't be more harmful to go in? I am very leery of that after my first ever delivery experience. Although i suppose if i am doing antibiotics anyway it may not be harmful?

I wasn't sure if i should call vet to give her shot of oxytocin or something also?

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
If you feel more comfortable, have the vet come out and go in. It won't be more harmful. Way more harmful for a dead kid to be in there. Put her on penicillin for 7 days after, twice a day shots.

You probably could do Oxytocin but not sure if it is getting too late for that. Oxytocin is only good to give for about 10-18 hours after birthing. But I would still go in. If a dead kid is malpositioned, it still won't come out with Oxytocin.

·
14,615 Posts
If you aren't comfortable going in by all means call the vet.
If there are still kids in there she might be reeking by now.
Sorry you & doe have to deal with this.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I agree.. an internal exam is needed...I would also wait 12 hours before doing Penicillin after LA 200....But Pen is a better choice for this situation...

http://www.drugs.com/vet/liquamycin-la-200.html
Since bacteriostatic drugs may interfere with the bactericidal action of penicillin, it is advisable to avoid giving Liquamycin LA-200 in conjunction with penicillin.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
oh i haven't given her the LA-200 yet, i can still give her pen. What is the dose? 3ml is what i've done in the past. I thought LA-200 was better b/c i used Pen first and then remember having to go out and buy the LA-200

i could get four fingers in, reached in as far as i could and did not feel another kid, how far in am i supposed to go? (btw the vet has bigger hands than i do) There is no odor, discharge looks normal (and not much of it)

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Pen is 1 cc per 20# every 12 hours for 5-7 days

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i edited this while you were replying.............

i could get four fingers in, reached in as far as i could and did not feel another kid, how far in am i supposed to go? (btw the vet has bigger hands than i do) There is no odor, discharge looks normal (and not much of it)

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I end up in almost up to my elbow in a Nigerian. You have to go in a lot further than that. She is closing up and once that occurs, you will not be able to get in. You really need to find out if she delivered that placenta and if there are dead kids in there.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
If she is closed up then there should not be anymore in there but if you can get 4 fingers in then you need to make sure you have a lot of lube on your hand, remove rings cut nails and go in.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If she is closed up then there should not be anymore in there but if you can get 4 fingers in then you need to make sure you have a lot of lube on your hand, remove rings cut nails and go in.
Well I am going to have to go with there are no more in there, i BARELY got four fingers in, there was absolutely no way I could fit the rest of my hand in without breaking something. I called my vet and he is out of town. His backup guy has a full mailbox, and neither of the other vets do goats or ultrasounds (i asked if they did them on dogs) I am not going to the emergency vet because last time it cost me over $1200 and I just don't have it. She is acting fine, she is eating, squabbling with the yearlings, tolerant of the other babies and glued to my side every time I go out to her pen (i milked her and she thinks I am her baby now I think) If this ever happens again I will know to check right away, i thought the watch and wait thing was the prudent course of action. Thank you for the help and I will keep everyone posted

I hope this doesn't sound abrupt, i am in tears right now because last time I had an emergency my vet was unavailable, i brought my dog to emergency vet, they were rude, charged me a fortune and my dog died anyway. I changed vets after that because there are three vets in the practice I was going to, this was 6:30 at night and I think someone should have been covering. I switched all my animals to the 'goat vet' that I use, because he does his own emergency calls and rarely goes out of town. Then I had my puppy neutered on a Monday and he was having issues, my vet had gone out of town - l could not reach his on-call guy, ended up calling his cell phone and he gave me some advice on what to ask for, but most vets wouldn't even talk to me b/c I wasn't their client, finally found someone and everything ended up well with the puppy but every time I have something not routine I feel really frustrated with the care around here.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
That is really a shame. Makes me thankful to have good vets that do actually answer when you call off hours.

I would definitely do the PenG for her just in case. And do the full course of 7 days.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Twice a day? Last time i had to use Pen it was once a day, i just want to make sure so i don't overdose her.

I am so grateful for the help I get on this board, and I thought I DID have a good vet but lately starting to wonder......

I am going to call them on Monday and tell them this is the second time their 'on call' vet has been unavailable and could they please get a different vet. (I might even try again tomorrow, with the puppy incident I got the message on a Wednesday and I tried calling their office back Thursday and they had a different vet on call in the office - and I loved her, maybe they could get her to take over more often)

Ack, ignore me, i DID do penicillin twice a day last time, i misread my records, i thought it was the banamine twice a day the way i had it written.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Yes once a day, sorry I'm thinking tylan 200 .. You can try bouncing your doe see if anything bounces back. Just stand behind her facing the same way and bend over her and hug her belly lift it up and let it drop gently . Do this a few times moving your hand around.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Maybe we better look it up lol I'm not at home with my notes lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts