Dead back legs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, May 31, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Has anyone ever caused a back leg to go 'dead' after an intramuscular shot in the back leg?

My two joint ill lambs are both knuckled under in the back leg after a shot of antibiotics ... mind you this was the fifth day of a/b and I hadnt had a problem till now, but for some reason I managed to kill both their legs.

I've only ever had this happen once before to a 2 yr old angora doe, her leg straightened in a couple days but the lambs seem to be taking longer than that. I splinted one of them and she is getting around well with the splint, but the other little guy would only drag his leg in the splint, so I took it off, he walks normally without the splint except for the knuckling under.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sciatic nerve, if you hit that, the goat may go paralyzed :hug:

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    whats the prognosis for them, Pam?

I normally give all shots in the neck but when these lambs come in, there is no meat on them whatsoever, I have tried the neck but no muscle there, when I try I just strike bone :worried: so the only place is the tendon/ligament/muscle whatever running down the back of the back leg

so is there any way to avoid the sciatic nerve? where exactly is it located?

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am not sure keren... :( ..I don't give the shots in the back legs at all ...because someone had told me along time ago ....about that nerve......I am so sorry ...... I don't know.... if it is permanent or not...... :hug:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Keren, I would think that if a couple days they will be fine. I will be thinking about you and them. ope they recover just fine. Maybe they were just tired of getting a shot, and just a little sore if they had no real good place to give a shot. :scratch:

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    When ever I give IM injections in the back leg I grab the leg to where my thumb is inbetween the muscles. The sciatic nerve runs in between them. then I give the injection in the outside muscle pointed out towards the outside of the animal so that I am not to hit that nerve.

I hope that they recover and get better soon :hug:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks Allison, I will do it that way next time.

I've probably given hundreds of injections this way, only ever had that one small problem a few years ago, now with my luck I manage to hit two within 5 minutes!

These lambs when they come to me are so emaciated, they literally have almost zero muscle. Skin, bones and the tendons/ligaments holding them together, thats it. Which is why I have to go to the back leg rather than the neck.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    on the bright side, I cured the joint ill! lol

first they couldnt walk cos of joint ill, now they cant walk because of the medication that cured the joint ill :roll: cant win, can I?

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    don't blame your self keren.....it can happen....you have been having pretty good luck ...up til now.. :( :hug: .... Allison...gave good advice.....to not hit that nerve next time..... :hug:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree that the sciatic nerve was hit. I did that before on Boots.....about 6 years ago, she still walks with a bit of a gimp now at 9 years old.

They'll be fine in a few days, good to hear that the joint ill is cured and don't be too hard on yourself, sounds like you really didn't have much of a good area to inject them in. :hug:

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    okay so the next question is, would you splint the legs, or not?

I was inclined not to, just to see how they go. I've had contracted tendons in calves before which results in the same knuckling over, I've never splinted them and they turn out alright in about a week or so. My mum absolutely flipped however, and INSISTED that I splint them, and to keep the peace I did. One lamb gets around pretty well with the splint, the other just dragged the leg so I took it off, he walks almost normal without the splint just with the knuckling over.

The only thing I can think is that eventually if it doesnt get better he's gonna rub the leg raw, and need a bit of bandaging.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If he's doing better without the splint then leave it, just put a bandage on the foot with padding on the top so he doesn't rub the hide off.

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    cheers ... poor little boy has to have pink vet wrap cos its all I've got lol

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    pink...... :shades: .....LOL :ROFL: