Dead On Arrival

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by happybleats, May 15, 2020.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Our Dexter had a DOA calf. We have Dexters.
    Queenie is a larger Dexter and would have caved this little guy easily. She is not new to calving. But looks like calved neck was broke :(

At any rate, nothing could be done for him but I want mom to be ok. She's not easy to handle but I think we need to milk her out. A friend who raises cows said no, that is best to leave her alone, that she will be uncomfortable for a few days but will dry up and move on. I do remember reading along time ago that by not milking the colostrum out will trigger her body NOT to produce milk. That its natures way to protect mom when babies die. I really didn't give it much thought until last night. Im thinking if she were a goat, she be milked at least until comfy. I just want to do whats best for Queenie.
    Has anyone heard about not milking colostrum? and if so any link you might share. I can not remember where I read it.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So sorry you lost him.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Thank you Karen. It was sad to find : (. I cant move or milk her until hubs gets home and helps me. I feel bad for her. we called around to find an orphan calf for her. My husband is in touch with a few dairies see if we cant get her to take one on. Fingers crossed we can get one to pen with her and hopefully graft

4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I really hope you can help the momma

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Just went out to bring her water. her udder is not full at all. Its larger than normal..but def. not uncomfortable. What does concern me is her tail is lifted like she's going to poop and her back in slightly tucked like she is contracting. Maybe placenta issues. We will usher her in the pen when hubs gets home and get a better look at her. Good thing is she is moving around..staying a little closer to the herd in the shade. Its pretty hot today at 90*

6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Our friend had a cow recently that omg half of her udder looked miserable. The vet came out to do preg checks and i asked him why not milk her. He said the same thing. She will dry up where the calf is not nursing and be fine. This cow had milk like a holstein and she is a fb angus.

7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

She is probably trying to pass the placenta. As in goats she may need some antibiotics. Dead babies in any animal could lead to sceptic poisoning.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    thank you Sfgwife...her udder was pretty tight last night and today loose..so maybe some truth to the thought.

Tanya...I don't think baby was dead in mom, at least not for long...Im thinking labored stalled too long or my husbands thought is baby may have landed wrong to break his neck. But yes, She may need antibiotics. Im thinking shes trying to deliver the placenta too. Hoping to get her rounded up for a check this evening

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree with your friend, beef cattle will dry up pretty easily. If your feeding her alfalfa or giving her grain it wouldn’t hurt to cut back or off and get her on something like oat hay (that’s what we use in this kind of case if we are feeding). But same as a goat just keep a eye on her for any signs of mastitis or if she seems REALLY full.

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Sorry you lost the calf! Did hubby find one at the dairy for her maybe?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  13. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    That’s a good idea Sfgwife! Except for the cruddy mother’s that didn’t want their own calf I have had 100% success grafting a calf onto a good mother. They are SO much easier then goats which is funny because they are impossible to man handle

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Queenie is doing good. She dropped her placenta finally this evening and her udder is loose. Thank-you all!!

toth boer goats and Sfgwife like this.
  15. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    AE3033D2-252E-4059-AF91-DB0025E309E8.jpeg
    Our friend has a bad mama cow at his place. Her last year calf looks pittiful! Then she dropped a new one on the ground sunday... my friend is bottling it as of last night. He says if she is not bred back when she goes in with the bull in sept she is burger. I am like why breed her again?!?! But. I am MAD at our friend right now! He waited til yesterday to decide the calf needed a bottle. Grrrrrrrr! He is old school and will wait to see if the calf can sneak nips from another mama cow and maybe one will accept them. Makes me so mad! I am like dangit already give the thing a bottle and just do it or bring it to me to do. I do not mind and the calf can go back after it is weaned. So late last night he calls me askin how i did Hope.. hope came from him. Which is think is funny in itself. He still fusses at our spoiled girl and how we do her. But every time he comes over he says somethin about how good she looks and that she looks better than some of his that are the same age as she is. His daughter who is flighty is feedin it right now. She is an adult. We will see how long before it comes here for me to feed. It will be fun for bout a week for her then it will be work. Hahahah. She ain’t gonna go over and do it very long i do not think. The pic is her last year calf and our youngest son last sat.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  16. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yeah I agree with you. Some people are weird about certain things. Even my dad. He has one cow that isn’t a bad mom but a really great one but it’s to the point she is almost impossible to manage when she has a calf. The way I look at it is there’s too many good ones out there to deal with the bad. I believe in second chances, cases like Queenie where it was not her fault, but turd mothers are the worst in my books. But I also don’t like bottle feeding calf’s either lol I guess if he didn’t mind bottle feeding that would be one thing but yeah she would be in my freezer too

toth boer goats likes this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Being vegetarian it is hard for me to comment. But bad mommas should not be calving at all. Unless they are purely breeding for beef. I had a bottled calf as a child. It broke my heart when he was taken for slaighter. We called him wild bill. I could actually get onto him and ride him like a horse. He was an Afrikaaner. Big neck n all. When they get to 3 years they go rogue. I loved that bull. Had he been a stud he probably would still be around.