The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Registered Boer goat farm consist of 6 goats
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something very weird going through our herd 4 goats have now had it ranging from newborns, and yearlings no matter what we give or do it ends in fatality of the goats, first it starts with diarrhea and the slowly leads to them becoming very skinny and weak and in the final 2 days it ends in lameness, not being able to push anything through the body and having no interest in water or food, we thought at first barber pole but that did nothing and then maybe polio tried that literally everything we had including red cell, tried keeping them hydrated but it wasn’t enough and this morning we just lost one of our registered to it we have no clues towards it like the lameness gets so bad that they can’t keep their own head up and drool on themselves does anyone have any leads on what this could be because no matter what it ends in fatality

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
Definitely run a fecal on everyone. Mail to meadow mist ..you will get full number and ID of whats going on there. lts very hard to keep a goat hydrated by mouth when scouring bad.. get saline fluid pack to give sub Q fluids when scouring.
What color are scours? Is it Bacterial, parasite or are you dealing with entertoxemia? Need to find cause.
Are your goats vaccinating with CDT? Do you have CD antitoxin on hand? If not find some asao..or milk of magnesia.
Check everything for mold..hay. minerals, feeders ect..
When you find one scouring
b comolex and CD Antitoxin asap
Get temp. Give scour halt.
Keep hydrated with sub q fluids. Get those fecals asap before more get down.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Definitely run a fecal on everyone. Mail to meadow mist ..you will get full number and ID of whats going on there. lts very hard to keep a goat hydrated by mouth when scouring bad.. get saline fluid pack to give sub Q fluids when scouring.
What color are scours? Is it Bacterial, parasite or are you dealing with entertoxemia? Need to find cause.
Are your goats vaccinating with CDT? Do you have CD antitoxin on hand? If not find some asao..or milk of magnesia.
Check everything for mold..hay. minerals, feeders ect..
When you find one scouring
b comolex and CD Antitoxin asap
Get temp. Give scour halt.
Keep hydrated with sub q fluids. Get those fecals asap before more get down.
:up:

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
791 Posts
I agree toltrazuril doesn’t always work. Many people have been complaint about it not working, I am one or those.
Personally If you have one that just passed I would send in for a necropsy. I understand if it’s a long drive but I promise you it will be worth it to eliminate the guess work. They should check for EVERYTHING, from a fecal to checking for different disease to even a liver analyst.
If you do not have one that recently passed then I would start with a fecal and go from there. If I were to just toss a guess out there I would say either cocci or BP

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Could there be anything toxic they could be getting into...a plant in their pasture or dripping antifreeze from a vehicle?
A good friend of mine had a dog who licked up antifreeze and the symptoms were almost identical.
I know it’s a long shot but it’s all I can think of other than what’s already been suggested

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You said newborns and yearlings?

It wouldn't be coccidiosis on a newborn, and not likely that it would kill a yearling.

In my experience coccidiosis tend to be a killer when they are 6-8 weeks old.

I had 5 kids die once over a 2 day period. It was 7 or 8 years ago maybe our 3rd year of keeping goats. They died pretty quick, bouncing around that morning and dead that afternoon.

We had vet out on a Saturday night giving antitoxin for clostridium because that's what we thought it was. But, I had carried 2 in for necropsy and when the results came back it was coccidiosis.

·
Registered
Registered Boer goat farm consist of 6 goats
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The one that just died was buried when I got home from school today, gonna get a fecal done weird thing is the newborn wasn’t outside at all but the mom was but other baby is doing just fine, necropsy isn’t an option around us for goats yet the closest would be Madison or Minneapolis vet services which is about a 3 hour drive either way, would Johnes do this, idk anymore toritazuail has always worked with us haven’t lost any from cocci but our Albon expired on us and we usually use that so maybe toritazuail isn’t working as well as we thought

·
TKC Farms
2,597 Posts
The one that just died was buried when I got home from school today, gonna get a fecal done weird thing is the newborn wasn't outside at all but the mom was but other baby is doing just fine, necropsy isn't an option around us for goats yet the closest would be Madison or Minneapolis vet services which is about a 3 hour drive either way, would Johnes do this, idk anymore toritazuail has always worked with us haven't lost any from cocci but our Albon expired on us and we usually use that so maybe toritazuail isn't working as well as we thought

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
How old are new borns?

Reactions: Noisy Bottle Babies
1 - 20 of 67 Posts