Deadly disease going through my herd

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Noisy Bottle Babies, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    This is something very weird going through our herd 4 goats have now had it ranging from newborns, and yearlings no matter what we give or do it ends in fatality of the goats, first it starts with diarrhea and the slowly leads to them becoming very skinny and weak and in the final 2 days it ends in lameness, not being able to push anything through the body and having no interest in water or food, we thought at first barber pole but that did nothing and then maybe polio tried that literally everything we had including red cell, tried keeping them hydrated but it wasn’t enough and this morning we just lost one of our registered to it we have no clues towards it like the lameness gets so bad that they can’t keep their own head up and drool on themselves does anyone have any leads on what this could be because no matter what it ends in fatality

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ALBoerGoats

ALBoerGoats Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Have you had fecals done?

Noisy Bottle Babies likes this.

3. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    No we haven’t yet because every time we catch it too late we notice that they become skinny deworm and pull them in to help them along but have just now noticed a pattern with this sickness so we are completely in the dark

4. ALBoerGoats

ALBoerGoats Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I would definitely do a fecal on everyone. Could be coccidia too. So dewormers won't do anything for it anyways.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Definitely run a fecal on everyone. Mail to meadow mist ..you will get full number and ID of whats going on there. lts very hard to keep a goat hydrated by mouth when scouring bad.. get saline fluid pack to give sub Q fluids when scouring.
    What color are scours? Is it Bacterial, parasite or are you dealing with entertoxemia? Need to find cause.
    Are your goats vaccinating with CDT? Do you have CD antitoxin on hand? If not find some asao..or milk of magnesia.
    Check everything for mold..hay. minerals, feeders ect..
    When you find one scouring
    b comolex and CD Antitoxin asap
    Get temp. Give scour halt.
    Keep hydrated with sub q fluids. Get those fecals asap before more get down.

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Color and smell of scours would help.

Sounds more like coccidiosis to me.

Get fecals ASAP.

Start everyone on raw garlic ASAP!!

7. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Active Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    How about a necropsy if another one passes. Seems like the most accurate way to get a clear diagnosis.
    I hope they get better!

8. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Thing is we treated with coccidosis medicine toritazuil 2 times with each goat 3 days apart as suggested by another goat owner

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Toltrazuril doesn't always work, and it is definitely not a 2 times 3 days apart dosage.

Please just get a fecal and then we will know for sure the issue!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    :up:

11. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I agree toltrazuril doesn’t always work. Many people have been complaint about it not working, I am one or those.
    Personally If you have one that just passed I would send in for a necropsy. I understand if it’s a long drive but I promise you it will be worth it to eliminate the guess work. They should check for EVERYTHING, from a fecal to checking for different disease to even a liver analyst.
    If you do not have one that recently passed then I would start with a fecal and go from there. If I were to just toss a guess out there I would say either cocci or BP

12. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Have they been tested for Johne's?

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You really need to have a necropsy done if any more pass.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Could there be anything toxic they could be getting into...a plant in their pasture or dripping antifreeze from a vehicle?
    A good friend of mine had a dog who licked up antifreeze and the symptoms were almost identical.
    I know it’s a long shot but it’s all I can think of other than what’s already been suggested

15. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    You said newborns and yearlings?

It wouldn't be coccidiosis on a newborn, and not likely that it would kill a yearling.

In my experience coccidiosis tend to be a killer when they are 6-8 weeks old.

I had 5 kids die once over a 2 day period. It was 7 or 8 years ago maybe our 3rd year of keeping goats. They died pretty quick, bouncing around that morning and dead that afternoon.

We had vet out on a Saturday night giving antitoxin for clostridium because that's what we thought it was. But, I had carried 2 in for necropsy and when the results came back it was coccidiosis.

16. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    The one that just died was buried when I got home from school today, gonna get a fecal done weird thing is the newborn wasn’t outside at all but the mom was but other baby is doing just fine, necropsy isn’t an option around us for goats yet the closest would be Madison or Minneapolis vet services which is about a 3 hour drive either way, would Johnes do this, idk anymore toritazuail has always worked with us haven’t lost any from cocci but our Albon expired on us and we usually use that so maybe toritazuail isn’t working as well as we thought

17. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.

18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Johnes wouldn't be killing newborns. They would be suffering a long time so not even the older ones.

19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Maybe bacterial. Color and smell? Try pig scourhalt next time it happens.

20. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    How old are new borns?

Noisy Bottle Babies likes this.