Dealing with coccidia

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Jun 14, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    All things said here are for information purposes and not because I am looking for sympathy or treatment options/oppions.

2 weeks ago Presto and Hans both had diarreah. Since it has been SO WET and I had a case of cocci here 2 years ago I started them both on sulmet. Presto cleared up but Hans did not. He continued to get worse. Had watery diarreah and was lethargic and getting skinny (he had been my chunker).

Last weekend we reached up into the high 90's to 100 degrees. THis was like a 30 degree jump in temp. On Saturday June 7th Hans died from complications (dispite our best efforts and even mouth to mouth by my brother) of something I do not know, cocci? enterotoxemia? heat? dehydration? I will never know. It was a tragic night and I rather not talk about it.

On Tuesday I woke up to find Rhythm with serious diarreah. I started to phone vets and one called me back while I was at work. I ran home, picked him up (he was already looking seriously bad). Got to the vets and he started him on SQ fluids. Gave him banamine. CHecked his temp 104.3 (remember it is like 97* out) so he said to start him on pen just in case. I had brought in a fecal sample which he ran while I waited and the vet said "your little guy is loaded with coccidia" He put him on Albon for 9 days (tablets) and strongly suggested Corid in their water every 3 months. This vet knows goats and said if used properly will not cause goat polio - I trust him.

In 2 days Rhythm was back to his old self and pooping berries.

WHen Rhythm was diagnosed I put all the kids on Sulmet. Cadence is still looking bloated (a sign of cocci) but everyone else is looking good. Kitten had been bloated looking but is fine now

Sweet pea started to poop soft stools and finaly my Corid arrived yesterday. With direction I doubled the dosage of the corid and added flavoring to the water. In only a couple hours they had drank all the treated water. I provided clean fresh water for the rest of the day. I will repeat this treated water for the next 4 more days as directed.

Still not out of the woods with everyone but I am optimistic. It does help that the weather finally broke on Tuesday night.

This has been what is on my mind each day and I needed to just take care of it and then move on. But I wanted to point out some very important things about cocci that I learned

1) Diarreah can be ALL colors. I had, yellow, light brown, watery to clear, brown, green
    2) kids can become bloated looking
    3) some will have sudden diarreah and go down fast others can hang on longer.
    4) there are way to many miss conceptions out there about cocci and the drugs to treat it.

I hope this helps someone. I will let you know any further details as I learn.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, thank you for posting of this tragedy...I sympathize with you. Yes..cocci is devastating and has all different types of symptoms..I dealt with a "bloaty" baby that didn't have watery diarreah and she had cocci...all went well in my case though..and I am very glad that you have this under control now...sorry you lost a little one to this. My vet told me to add Deccox to the girls minerals (5# DC to 25# mineral) starting 3 months before they deliver and continue til the kids are 6 weeks old. I hope the Corid is the answer for you and your girls have no ill efects from it. :grouphug:

3. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Oh Stacey I feel for you. I've been thought the same thing a few years ago. Some of the things I did to help kill the cocci was.
    1.We feed grain in small buckets every morning after be used I would raise then spray with bleach and let sit in the sun for a little while. Raise well after and put away.

2. Water bucket where done the same way

3. Cleaned pen every day. Down to the dirt nothing was left in the pen.

4. Sprinkle ag lime in the pens everyday . I only did this heavy one time and I lock the animals out for 24 hrs. Other wise I use a old coffee creamer cont. and light did the pens.

5. I also used corrid. I drench everyone so I knew everyone got the right amount. I also give B complex oral every other day.
    I had only one case of cocci in the last three years. Shelly

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Stacy- I'm so sorry you lost your Hans. I know you deeply care about your goats and are so responsible for them.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I am pleased to report that Sweet Peas poops are now clumped up berries. This is a great improvement over 2 days ago when she had diarreah. :D

Her milk production had slowed so I hope that once she is recovered it picks back up again.

I am using the same pen for the past 12 years so it is jsut so bad when it rains. And from cleaning it out for that long it is a big gully compared to the rest of the yard which leads to a big puddle when it rains.

My new pen should be done within the next month or so as the fencing project as reached my goat pen :dance:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The rain has been great for growing really good hay but terrible when it comes to trying to keep pens dry! The raking and just general cleaning of the yard pretty much has the water running under my barn but it stays pretty mucky in front of the doorways. Hope you post pics of the new pen when it's finished.

It's not good to keep goats "inside" for health reasons...but what choice is there when outside is worse for them? I sort of make "stepping stones" for my girls when it's really bad...like me sinking in muck to mid calf( ewww!) then they can get to "higher" ground without getting their feet wet...which they HATE! :slapfloor:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with the muid and the muck all they have to do is scratch their legs and they "eat" that mud infected with cocci. Or after the kids jump all over their backs scratch their backs and again "eat" the mud infected with cocci. It isn't like you can keep it from happening.

So if you have a really raining season or pens that just won't dry out. YOu really need to keep an eye out for cocci and treat with the first signs.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacey, I too am sorry about your loss. Cocci is a horrible thing and thank you for posting the diarreah colors. I hear people say that it is only one color and NO it is not.
    I sure will pray that the rest will stay clean.

I tell you, all of you that are in that very wet area are sure doing a great job at keeping the cocci under control.

Here you are all so wet and have to deal with that and the weather changes, and we are in such a drought that we have NO pastures what so ever. Here we are in Colorado and it looks more like the Arizona dessert.

:hug:

9. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  10. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well we are all dried out now but for future my dad is going to help me with drainage.

We are going to dig a big pit (bigger one then current one lol) and put some big rocks in it then cover it with dirt and put a "deck" out there with an overhang out off the new goat barn. And their main pen is moving to a different location so hopefully this is the last year with this problem.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like a good plan to help with the drainage...though I tried the rock thing and they "disappear"! Hope it all works out for you and your dad is great or helping you with his too!

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well these rocks are large. We had a cement padio thing in front of our garage years ago and when we remodled it into our living room (the garage that is) back in 1995 we broke up the cement and have used it in different areas to edge flower beds but now we arent doing that anymore so we have all these big rocks we need to get rid of so it is a win win situation :D

Sweet Peas poops are continuing to firm up.